What's new

Gillette Adjustable Questions

As some of you may know, I recently scored a Gillette Adjustable off of eBay and had my first shave with it today. That went well at setting 3. I'll try "4" tomorrow. Anyhow, this is my first adjustable and I find myself wondering what is actually being adjusted when I play with the adjustment ring. I can feel something getting tighter at the higher settings, but don't notice any change in the appearance of the razor. Can anyone answer this one?

Thanks in advance!
Rich

The blade is actually being raised up from the bar guard. Hold the razor so that you're looking at the long side of it. Insert a blade and close the silo doors. Begin at #1 setting and click all the way to #9. You'll see that the blade moved higher, indicating more exposure. If you only click one or two positions at a time, it's difficult to perceive any movement. The fact that you met resistance from 1-9 indicates the adjustment is usually working properly. But keep in mind these exposure differences are very small to the naked eye.

Rich
DJ88 has described the same experiences I have had with Gillette Adj Slim boy and Fatboy
moving the knob higher you feel a bit of resistance. The blade movement is not descernible to the naked eye. You will notice that the space between the edge of the blade and the edge of the razor head increases.

There is definitely a big difference in the shave. try going from 4 to 7 and you will see what I am talking about.

By changing the adjustment, you are moving the distance of the safety bar closer to or away from the blade. If the look at the gap closely, you will see a diffrence between 1 and 9. In fact, if you put the setting on 9 then insert a blade and tighten the doors, then try to dial it down to 1, you'll have some major resistance.This is because you are pressing the lade against the silo doors. loosen the knob and you will feel little resistance again.

Top Bottom