What's new

Bills 5 Pocket Denim

Does anyone have any experience with Bills 5 Pocket Denim or Weathered Canvas? I'm considering buying a pair to replace my worn out jeans. I own a number of pairs of Bills Khakis, and I think they are great.

Background: I used to buy Levis jeans. Sometime in the late nineties, I found that their fabric and fit became horrible compared to when I was a kid. I bought a couple of pairs of Lucky jeans that fit very well, but the fabric is not terribly durable. I hadn't found anything better though, and was about to buy another pair of Luckys, but the price has gotten so high that I could buy a pair of Bills for the same price.

Instead of buying lots of things, I prefer to own a few nice/well-made things. I realize that for the price of one pair of Bills, I could buy 5 (or whatever) pairs of (for example) Old Navy jeans. I wouldn't like them as much though, and they probably wouldn't last long enough that it would save me a significant amount of money.

I buy the $12.99 Kirkland blue jeans at CostCo. They're the best "cheap" pair of jeans I've ever worn - decent fit, thick fabric, good construction and tough.

I buy the $12.99 Kirkland blue jeans at CostCo. They're the best "cheap" pair of jeans I've ever worn - decent fit, thick fabric, good construction and tough.

Gotta agree with this. I've been buying Kirkland jeans for a while now and they outclass Levi -- as long as you want the style they sell. No buttons nor boot-cut nor low-slung look, etc. but that's fine with me. I always got the 501 anyway and that's what the Kirkland jeans are competing with.

Much to my pleasant surprise, I went to Costco a month or two ago and noticed that their jeans were a little different. Seem to have a nicer material and the leather patch on the back is a bit smaller (more "stylish"). A definite improvement on an already top-notch product.

I have a pair of MP2s in denim and they wear very nicely. I haven't tried the actual jeans though. I like Indigo Palms jeans - they go on sale for about $40 from time to time and they have a nice cut. If I feel the need for really snug fitting, Lee is the best and they make a 29" inseam which is perfect for me.

Bill's make their pants -- including their denims -- in the US which explAins their relatively higher cost. You want to support American industry or buy the least expensive jeans? I don't have any of Bill's denims but if I were looking for a new pair of jeans I would definitely try them out.

Last edited:
You want to support American industry or buy the least expensive jeans?

I'm a tough love kinda guy. If an industry can't compete it will die with or without my charitable contributions to it.

My real contribution is to support a free-market economy. Some day I hope we try this again!

Last edited:
I'm not really trying to make a political statement, I just wanted to know about the quality and fit of these jeans. Often, not always though, I've found that products made in a developed country are higher quality than the same product made in a third world country. As I've said, I prefer to buy quality products that will last rather than cheap junk that ends up getting thrown away after a year.

Their khakis, for example, cost 4-5 times as much as Dockers, which is what I used to wear. However, Dockers don't last and once you've worn Bills, Dockers look and feel cheap and uncomfortable. I don't buy Dockers anymore.

I'm not really trying to make a political statement, I just wanted to know about the quality and fit of these jeans. Often, not always though, I've found that products made in a developed country are higher quality than the same product made in a third world country. As I've said, I prefer to buy quality products that will last rather than cheap junk that ends up getting thrown away after a year.

Their khakis, for example, cost 4-5 times as much as Dockers, which is what I used to wear. However, Dockers don't last and once you've worn Bills, Dockers look and feel cheap and uncomfortable. I don't buy Dockers anymore.

Perfectly reasonable.

The Kirkland products in general and the jeans in particular seem to be of very high quality.

I think products made "off shore" will be of whatever quality the parent company wants.

RE: Political statement. I was responding to what I took to be a political statement. I will gladly and preferably "buy American" given comparable value.

I have a pair of the jeans.

I bought them for friday jean day in the office. They fit a lot like the straight front khakis - high stride almost the bellybutton, kind of full cuffs at the bottom. Not quite like Levi's at all. They are sized large to size also so you'll have to try them on to find your size. Mine were two sizes (") smaller than I usually buy in Levis.

You'll have to try them to see if the fit is for you because it is rather specific. Quality is good as expected. Not that much better than an original fit Levi though. I wear them with dress shoes.

I like them, but probably won't buy another pair.

Top Bottom