What's new

John wayne VS Clint Eastwood

State your argument, favorite quotes, Characters, Whatever. I'll start with the quotes "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josie Wales." Never appologize, appology is a sign of weakness". John wayne in "She wore a yellow ribbon".

Who? Clint, all the way.
Why? Is John Wayne a 75 year old man that could probably beat the tar out of men 1/3 his age? Thought not.
In What? Gran Torino. Hells yes. Need I say more?

Any attempts to discredit my argument will be met with fingers in the ears and me loudly singing "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen. I win.:ciappa:

John Wayne for the same reason you choose Chuck Berry over Led Zeppelin. Without the former, there would be no latter. I think Clint is an institution, but "the duke" is "the duke" for a reason.

Legion

Staff member
It's a tough one....

I think I might have to go with Clint. Both are probably equal on points if you only look at their western movies but Clint's other work, including his directorial work, puts him in front overall.

"In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Clint Eastwood
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

As you can see, Clint..

Clint all the way. The argument that there would be no Clint if the Duke had not come first is in it's own way valid but doesn't hold much weight for me when it comes right down to it. Sometimes what follows surpasses what began. If you had to choose between driving the first car made or driving something like a 67 Camaro what would you choose. Not to mention there were men's men before the Duke he just did it better. Clint has done it now longer and in my opinion better. Unforgiven comes to mind as a better western than any of the Dukes work.

"All right, I'm coming out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, and burn his damn house down. "

That's the killer right there. Gran Torino is just the final nail. The Duke was great but Clint is better.

L

Lo'Tek

The difference between the two is - The Man With No Name wouldn't say anything until after he shot; and then not much more than a one liner after that. I'm afraid Marion wouldn't last.

L

Lo'Tek

"If you're gona shoot, shoot - don't talk." - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Remirez

"You know nooooothing about Toko."

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom