What's new

What kind of steel is the NOS B&B Le Grelot?

I am getting close to being called about what I want in a custom razor. I have the shape, size, grind and scales pretty straight in my head. I keep buying razors and they just don't compare to the B&B Le Grelot for smoothness, keeness and duribility of the edge. The only problem I have with the Le Grelot is the size and shape. I would like something that is a little shorter and a different shape. I like the steel and the hardness is perfect, not to hard, not so soft. I recently bought a very high tempered steel razor and it not in the same league as my Le Grelots.

Thanks in advanced,
Richardl

A nice heavy ground Wostenholm shaves better than the le grelot in my opinion. I have two of the 1/4 ground 6/8 le grelots, one is a B&B LE. The Wostenholm I have is the ebro razor.

well, if you only like it shorter and different shape the easiest is to get another one and modify it (or have it modified) accordingly :)

well, if you only like it shorter and different shape the easiest is to get another one and modify it (or have it modified) accordingly :)

I have thought of that but it seems sacrilegious somehow. It this custom does not meet my expectations then that is probably what will happen with the second one that I have. I want a Irish point and I do not know how that would translate from a Le Grelot. If I could get the same steel, or close, then I would be happy.

Thanks,
Richard

A nice heavy ground Wostenholm shaves better than the le grelot in my opinion. I have two of the 1/4 ground 6/8 le grelots, one is a B&B LE. The Wostenholm I have is the ebro razor.

So you're advocating a J. Wostenholm, not the popular G. Wostenholm :lol:.

Frankly, I think just about all Sheffield steel feels that nice. I will know when I have tried more of it... someday... but for now my collection is complete barring a good antique store haul or some unforseen circumstances :lol:.

But yes, Sheffield steel is smooth as glass.

I am getting close to being called about what I want in a custom razor. I have the shape, size, grind and scales pretty straight in my head. I keep buying razors and they just don't compare to the B&B Le Grelot for smoothness, keeness and duribility of the edge. The only problem I have with the Le Grelot is the size and shape. I would like something that is a little shorter and a different shape. I like the steel and the hardness is perfect, not to hard, not so soft. I recently bought a very high tempered steel razor and it not in the same league as my Le Grelots.

Thanks in advanced,
Richardl

Just wondering, what other brands have you tried? I peronally have not found the Le Grelot to be the holy grail of razors, but thats just me. That said, its definitely in the top 5% of my favorite shaves/razors/brands.

I have thought of that but it seems sacrilegious somehow.

It doesn't seem sacrilegious to me - it's a shape LeGrelot picked and looking at their other razors (and especially their scales) they don't seem to have had much imagination. It's a mass produced razor, and they went out of business before selling their stock of these, so I say grind away until the blade has the shape you want.
I suspect you can't get the exact same steel anymore, it is something they could buy at the time, but I doubt you'll be able to find what was that exactly, and the steel industry has changed over the past several decades.
I don't even know if the tempering is done at TI or the blanks were already heat treated.

Hopefully you'll like your custom though.

I understand that LeGrelots were made from Swedish steel as were Wapis. The feel of the steel is remarkably similiar. Another piece of straight edge lore to ponder.

I modified mine, gave it a bit more of an oblique point.

proxy.php

Top Bottom