What's new

New (old) guy says howdy

Well after two weeks of lurking and entering week 3 of wet DE shaving, thought that I'd finally expose myself. :tongue:

Born when there was that nasty little police action going on in Korea, started self taught method of shaving (nick in my nostril to prove it :eek:)
with my dad's adjustable Gillette in the mid 60s. No I don't remember the model and no he didn't appreciate me borrowing his razor.

First forward to the now, disgruntled M3 user. My buddy gave me a puck of Williams soap, I perused Amazon and (before discovering this font of shaving wisdom here at B&B), ordered a Parker 22R w/10 pack of Shark Chrome blades and a Tweezerman badger brush. I dug a thirty year old wide mouth coffee mug out of the kitchen cabinet to use as a soap mug and proceeded to make all the usual newb mistakes until my enlightenment here at this site :001_rolle .

I've watched several of what's his names' videos and along with what I've read, have learned to improve technique to the point that nicks and weepers are hopefully over. I got a puck of Conk Bay Rum soap and prefer it obviously to the Williams and also have VDH Select to try maybe. After several shaves with Sharks, tried my first Merkur HD today, eh, don't know yet whether better or not.

I find the Parker a little heavy (or at least how it's balanced) and though it's purty and TTO, don't think I'll stay with it. My hand cramps before I'm finished shaving, maybe it's grip but I keep chanting, "No Pressure" to keep the gods of blood away. Muhle and Edwin Jagger impress me visually, how do they shave for light beard and sensitive skin?

A slightly larger (And better) badger brush might be nice, suggestions?. But please, let$ be reasonable. How about Tabac soap?, seems to be a winnah for most folks.

This went w-a-y longer then intended, so I'll get out of here for now. Thanks for being here, been a great help so far.

P.S., I like Pinaud Clubman A/S and don't care if I smell "old" because I am frackin' old :biggrin: . I miss those days of hot lather machines and straight razors in the barber's chair.

Welcome to B&B.

And welcome back to wet shaving.

Nice story. I get this feeling reading it... I think you should skip the tabac and try Art of Shaving soap. It's a bit more difficult to use, but it may be the best tallow soap available today.

I'm not the biggest fan of the HD. It's a fine razor, but needs to be handled a certain way. I prefer the old gillettes. Look around the BST forum. I think of Merkur vs. Gillette the way I think of European sports cars vs. a Chevy. While you can get better performance out of the Merkur, it takes a little work and getting used to.

If your hand's cramping, you need to ease up on how you're holding the razor.
The tutorial thread has one example http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4018
but there's a better thread about it http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94542
There's a third somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard from one old guy to another! I'm about 5 years further into geezer-hood than you.

If you were DE shaving in the mid '60s you will soon be giving advice to all the young whipper-snappers around here! I think it is a bit like riding a bicycle and will all come back to you.

Tabac is a nice soap at a reasonable price that you won't go wrong by trying it.

My guess on the cramping is that you just need to relax your grip a bit.

This is a fun hobby, from the act of shaving itself to messing with the equipment and consumables to collecting.

Welcome!

I started with a gold HD and liked it a lot, but later switched to an 11C and liked it even better. I have a C&E (Edwin Jagger) Best Badger brush, but don't get the too-small $35 travel brush. Get the next size up. I have both and the travel brush is collecting dust!

I agree with SiBurning. You can't go wrong with AOS. AOS is expensive but IME, you get what you pay for.

PS: I was born in the late 50's.

Dave

+++1 on the Tweezerman - I love mine

Don't have an opinion on either the Shark blades or the Parker.

I alternate between a Gillette Slim adjustable and a Fatboy.

WRT holding the razor - I've found that if I just cradle it in the hand that the 'no pressure' thing takes care of its self.

(had to zip off to the 'den' to check how I hold the razor)

The handle rests just above the first knuckle of the pinky, grip is lightly between the thumb and index finger - allowing rotation of the razor.

Hope that helps

YMMV

There are sixty and nine ways of holding razor blades
and all of them are right

(Apologies to Rudyard Kipling for wrecking In the Neolithic Age):blush:

Well after two weeks of lurking and entering week 3 of wet DE shaving, thought that I'd finally expose myself. :tongue:

Born when there was that nasty little police action going on in Korea, started self taught method of shaving (nick in my nostril to prove it :eek:)
with my dad's adjustable Gillette in the mid 60s. No I don't remember the model and no he didn't appreciate me borrowing his razor.

First forward to the now, disgruntled M3 user. My buddy gave me a puck of Williams soap, I perused Amazon and (before discovering this font of shaving wisdom here at B&B), ordered a Parker 22R w/10 pack of Shark Chrome blades and a Tweezerman badger brush. I dug a thirty year old wide mouth coffee mug out of the kitchen cabinet to use as a soap mug and proceeded to make all the usual newb mistakes until my enlightenment here at this site :001_rolle .

I've watched several of what's his names' videos and along with what I've read, have learned to improve technique to the point that nicks and weepers are hopefully over. I got a puck of Conk Bay Rum soap and prefer it obviously to the Williams and also have VDH Select to try maybe. After several shaves with Sharks, tried my first Merkur HD today, eh, don't know yet whether better or not.

I find the Parker a little heavy (or at least how it's balanced) and though it's purty and TTO, don't think I'll stay with it. My hand cramps before I'm finished shaving, maybe it's grip but I keep chanting, "No Pressure" to keep the gods of blood away. Muhle and Edwin Jagger impress me visually, how do they shave for light beard and sensitive skin?

A slightly larger (And better) badger brush might be nice, suggestions?. But please, let$ be reasonable. How about Tabac soap?, seems to be a winnah for most folks.

This went w-a-y longer then intended, so I'll get out of here for now. Thanks for being here, been a great help so far.

P.S., I like Pinaud Clubman A/S and don't care if I smell "old" because I am frackin' old :biggrin: . I miss those days of hot lather machines and straight razors in the barber's chair.

1. yep, too tight; relax somewhat.

2. Just had a cougar tell me I smell great-and I was wearing Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve.

3. Welcome(back?) to B&B.

marty

Welcome to B&B. Glad to have you here. Oh yeah, you can't go wrong with Tabac. I waited over 9 months before I tried Tabac, and I'm sorry I waited so long. :thumbup1: :biggrin: :tongue: :w00t:

Welcome to B&B, and welcome back to the world of shaving with a DE, brush, and soap. I'm a good bit younger than you (born '63) but used a DE and inexpensive brush at the end of high school/first few years of college before lapsing into the wilderness of cartridge shaving. :frown:

Welcome from old whats-his-name. :lol:
Mantic,sorry for the temporary loss of what few memory cells I have left. I really did appreciate your videos. I started the procedure of lathering, wiping off lather with hot wahcloth and re-applying lather. Seemed nutty but it also seems to have a positive effect for a smooth shave.

Top Bottom