What's new

Gillette Navy Set - Not many of these out there!

Great find! I´ve never seen a Navi Set, only in the Krumholz book page 153.

It would have been a greater find had I been successful on the auction. I had been following it for a few days, the action looked pretty slow, and when it came to the last moment decision for a max bid, I went cheap! Sighhhhhh.

I don't know if others have done this - but sometimes I get the feeling I have been spending too much on razors so I put a small bid on something I really want. And then of course, I lose the item to some guy with 3000 purchases. I could kick myself now. Oh well, maybe there is a mint one that was given to some famous WW1 general with a signed presentation note from King himself! Yeah thats it, my karma will kick in and I will find that one for $1.00 at my local thrift store. Yeah!!!!

I was watching that thing,, too... I wasn't home when the auction ended,, or I might have bumped the price a bit...

What did it end up selling for...??? I erased the link....

Also,, that item was most likely sold through a PX or catalog..... I have seen many Khaki sets that don't have the "Property of..." stamp.... In fact,, I have one that belonged to a local guy who saw combat with the 79th Division during WWI (and it doesn't have the "property of" stampings)........

Depending on what time a man served (WWI through Korea),, he may or may not have been issued a Gillette razor (Officers bought their own stuff),,, and if he was issued a "crap razor",, he would likely purchase an "upgrade" from the PX....

My guess on the "Navy Set" is that it was made sometime after WWI... After they filled the Army contract,,, they most likely decided to cater to the other branches of the service to drum up more future purchasers of their blades... Also,,, That is the only one that I have ever seen... It's probably quite rare...

Since the razor shown in the set is a New, either it's not the original razor or the set was made well after WWI in the '30's. My guess is the former. However because of the rarity of the set and had I seen the auction, I would have bid fairly high to get it, certainly more then a NOS Fatboy.

Len

yes, it´s very rare :drool:

proxy.php

Top Bottom