What's new

Razor Polishing? Maas?

It seems Walgreens is no longer selling Maas. Anyone know where to get some at a similar price ($6 - $7)? Do you have a similar non-abrasive product that you know works? I'm in a panic without my old reliable.

Thanks.

I used to use Flitz semichrome metal polish to bring up a mirror-like polish on metal flasks. The stuff worked great! I'd check for a review on Flitz before going to town on a razor, though.

I have found Never Dull at all car parts stores. Its great for nickle plate too. A very safe cleaner. Ace for Mass and Flitz sometimes there too.

I noticed Walgreen's stopped selling it in my area. I ended up getting it from the Maas site direct. When I got mine they only had the larger, more expensive sizes.

Len

I looked high and low for Maas and finally found it at an Ace Hardware. They had Flitz there, too, so I bought both.

IMHO I found the Flitz easier to use than Maas.

I found some today at Ace. Price was $4.88 for the 2 oz. tube. Cheaper than Walgreens. I bought 2 and started to buy all they had.......whew, now I can sleep.

Go to Autozone, and get 5 oz of Mothers for 4.99. Makes my razors super bright. You use just a dot. If it does not turn black, it can not be shined.

As mass is quite difficult to get here in the uk, and pricey, i use autoglym, just as good as mass i have found.

I advise strongly against highly abrasive polishes. A chemical rinse and steam clean will do wonders.

For aluminum, soak in warm vinegar (but NO NICKEL!)
For brass, salt and vinegar
For silver, rest it on aluminum foil and cover with warm baking soda solution
For nickel or gold, household ammonia soak. 1 minute for gold in a 1 to 6 dilution with water. 5 minute soak in a 1 to 3 dilution with water for nickel.

Clean with borax paste (5 parts borax, 5 parts powdered dishwasher detergent, 3 parts water)

Rinse thoroughly

Steam clean it by steaming it as you would vegetables (colander over a pan of boiling water) for 20 minutes.

If you want a really bright polish, use jeweler's rouge. It removes a minimal amount of the plating, and leaves a protective wax finish.

I just used Flitz liquid polish on two nickel-plated razors (had to resort to eBay as I don't think there's either Maas or Flitz available here in Finland).

The amount of grime it helped remove from an already meticulously scrubbed surface was just amazing. I always thought polish is "only" for the fancy shine but didn't realize how indispensable it could be in the actual cleaning process. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom