What's new

Grey Flannel Question

Is it worth trying? I read some reviews, but I'm not sure.
I think I can get it at Marshall's for $19.99.
I'm not opposed to a bargain but, I tend to like high quality non-synthetic scents.

For example:
Tam Dao
Lavendula
Douro, EF, BB, Racquets
Floris Vetiver
Most C&S stuff (esp #88)
Creed Bois Du Portugal

I got some Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood and like it but find it a bit too synthetic and not great. Since I only payed $14 for it it's fine, but I don't wear it too much.

Any thoughts/opinions on Grey Flannel.

I have the edt and aftershave splash, and use it occasionally after shaving with Trumper's violet. Never thought of it as synthetic, but maybe. It can be strong, and is lasting. It certainly is a value, and does have a following. Perhaps you should sample it first at the counter. Best of luck, John

I found the edt at Marshall's for $12.95 - really worth it!

I don't use it every day, but... it passes the "sweetie test." A bargain at twice the price!

I have the edt and aftershave splash, and use it occasionally after shaving with Trumper's violet. Never thought of it as synthetic, but maybe. It can be strong, and is lasting. It certainly is a value, and does have a following. Perhaps you should sample it first at the counter. Best of luck, John
Thanks both for the info.
I assumed it might have a synthetic note because of it's low price.
I'll go by Marshall's tomorrow and see if they have it.

Is it worth trying? I read some reviews, but I'm not sure.
I think I can get it at Marshall's for $19.99.
I'm not opposed to a bargain but, I tend to like high quality non-synthetic scents.

For example:
Tam Dao
Lavendula
Douro, EF, BB, Racquets
Floris Vetiver
Most C&S stuff (esp #88)
Creed Bois Du Portugal

I got some Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood and like it but find it a bit too synthetic and not great. Since I only payed $14 for it it's fine, but I don't wear it too much.

Any thoughts/opinions on Grey Flannel.

Filene's around where I am has little bottles of it for $9.95. A that price it is definitely worth a try.

The issue to me with Grey Flannel is not its quality or its level of artificiality, but the fact that at one point it was so popular, that if one wears it now, a portion of the population is going to immediately recognize it as a throwback to whatever those years were when it was popular. In that respect it is a long way from the scents on your list.

I would guess that GF is synthetic. It has big sillage and longetivity, and nothing that came before smelled very much like it. But does it smell cheap and "phony"? I would say not.

Last edited:
Definitely not synthetic. It's been around since the late 1970's. Great quality for the price. Green, woodsy scent with a strong, sharp violet note. Most people that dislike it say it's too strong and earthy (it is an 80's type of scent). I say go for it.

I had a bottle once. I believe I gave it away, or threw it away (cannot remember, it was too long ago). I personally did not like the scent. To me it smelled cheap, but this was also 15 years ago or so. My taste may have changed, but I'm not rushing out to buy a bottle and see.

I tried it and didn't care for it at all, but I seem to be in a very small minority on this one. At the price, it's certainly worth a try.

:cool:

I like Grey Flannel. Yes, you have to deal with the whole "popular back when" vibe but if it works for you, why not? Much nicer than Cool Water, anyway. The discontinued for years but available Bowling Green is also a good value. The local Big Lots has Bowling Green EDT for $6.

Walmart used to have racks of small sample bottles of cologne for a buck or two near their cologne/perfume aisles. Don't know if they still do or not but you could check - I know for sure Grey Flannel was one of their sampler bottles because I have one.

I like Grey Flannel. Yes, you have to deal with the whole "popular back when" vibe but if it works for you, why not? Much nicer than Cool Water, anyway. The discontinued for years but available Bowling Green is also a good value. The local Big Lots has Bowling Green EDT for $6.

Wow, that is a great tip on Bowling Green. I have always wanted to try it but have not. It is one of those scents that folks praise on line and always say they cannot believe Geofrey Beane discontinued it.

Basenotes has 20 reviews--18 favorable, 1 neutral, and 1 negtive. That is a a highly rated scent!

I wonder if the Big Lots version is the same formula as the original.

Bowling Green would work for me because evenif it is solidly 1980s, not that many people will recognize it. GF is very distinctive and they will, which is fine if that is okay with you! I do wear Aramis from time to time and I do not think it comes any more readily recognizable than that!

Wow, that is a great tip on Bowling Green. I have always wanted to try it but have not. It is one of those scents that folks praise on line and always say they cannot believe Geofrey Beane discontinued it.

Basenotes has 20 reviews--18 favorable, 1 neutral, and 1 negtive. That is a a highly rated scent!

I wonder if the Big Lots version is the same formula as the original.

Bowling Green would work for me because evenif it is solidly 1980s, not that many people will recognize it. GF is very distinctive and they will, which is fine if that is okay with you! I do wear Aramis from time to time and I do not think it comes any more readily recognizable than that!

Same, same according to my olfactory senses. I am one of those that was a bit shocked that BG was discontinued...always liked it better than GF. My wife happens to like both as well.

I guess in the 80's (my teenage years), I really only had experience with stuff like Jovan Musk, English Leather, Timberline and Brut.. I guess those are more 60s/70s. The only real 80's colognes I remember are Polo (Lots of Polo) and then Drakkar later in the decade. I don't have *any* memory of anyone wearing Grey Flannel in the 80's so it's pretty new to me. I like it quite a bit. Bonus that I love VDH soap too.

This is one of my all-time favorites. Granted, I started using it as a young man when it was first introduced, and that was a happy time of life for me (as is this phase!) so I do have pleasant associations with the scent. And my current SWMBO just goes insane (in a good way :w00t:) over it. 'Nuff said.

I guess the worst of it is that in some ways it's a "dated" scent to some.
But I think it's enough of a classic to say the heck with that.

At a low price, I'd go for it. It's in the same family as Cool Water and GIT.
But it always felt quite a bit heavier to me.

Be carful learning how much to use. I recall it being very easy to go over the top.

It's a great frag.

I looove the stuff. It is strong, as mentioned, so it's easy to drift into "Did you bathe in it?" territory. Apply carefully.

Top Bottom