What's new

Acquisitions December 25 - December 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Last night I scored a Gillette Adjustable on eBay (item #230066075527) for $22.50. I don't know the date code yet, but hope to have it in my hands soon after Christmas.

Two questions though... Did I do well price-wise? And.... :redface: how do I use it? Up to this point, I've used only non-adjustables.

Thanks in advance!
Rich

proxy.php

Looks good! The listing says I as the date code which off the top of my head is 1963-
Thats a fair price for a razor in what looks to be in good shape. start on 3-4 and try different settings. Enjoy!

Rich, nice looking razor! That seems to be a good price, especially if you only have to give it a light scrub when you get it.

As for settings, Jim has it right. Try it on 3, and then go up as long as you feel comfortable. If it gets too aggressive, then dial it back down. I've found 5 works best for me, but some folks here start high for their WTG passes and then dial down for their ATG and finish passes. YMMV.

But good score! :thumbup1:

Rich, nice looking razor! That seems to be a good price, especially if you only have to give it a light scrub when you get it.

As for settings, Jim has it right. Try it on 3, and then go up as long as you feel comfortable. If it gets too aggressive, then dial it back down. I've found 5 works best for me, but some folks here start high for their WTG passes and then dial down for their ATG and finish passes. YMMV.

But good score! :thumbup1:

Thanks guys! So, if I understand correctly, a high number setting is more aggressive than a low number?

proxy.php

Looks good! The listing says I as the date code which off the top of my head is 1963-
Thats a fair price for a razor in what looks to be in good shape. start on 3-4 and try different settings. Enjoy!

I just checked the date code and your memory is perfect. Also, it's the first year of adjustables with a long thin handle.

Ooh!

I was very lucky this year. A few things came from Father Christmas: An Alum block, a Merkur HD, some Trumpers Bay Rum. Then at the bottom of the stocking was a bottle of Prorosa ASB, and pre-shave cream! :biggrin: :biggrin: I also got a bottle of Knize Ten. :eek: And I feel like the luckiest kid in the playground!

Hi All,

Last night I scored a Gillette Adjustable on eBay (item #230066075527) for $22.50. I don't know the date code yet, but hope to have it in my hands soon after Christmas.

Two questions though... Did I do well price-wise? And.... :redface: how do I use it? Up to this point, I've used only non-adjustables.

Thanks in advance!
Rich

The razor arrived today ... pretty fast service especially considering the holidays. After a good cleaning with clorox bathroom cleaner, a q-tip, and some bleach, it's in almost new condition. My only complaint is that my ebay seller did not clean it first so it was really crusty looking under the silo doors. Stay tuned for tomorrow's shaving report.

A belated Hanukkah gift! My father-in-law really delivered this year! A package arrived today with the following tasty treats:

proxy.php

From left: Valobra soft shaving soap (almond), Helan Vetiver & Rum shaving cream, and Musgo Real shaving cream.

I'm gonna use the Helan tonight. Can't wait!!! :w00t:

Don't actually have my acquisitions in my hand yet... hope I am not violating any rules!

2 TIs: A 6/8 bone with worked back and a 5/8 snakewood. Photo credit goes to shave-and-razor-shop.com (where I bought them)

Joel, mind if I took you up on your offer to work your magic on one of them? I'd be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom