Simpson Tulip 3
Vintage Blades Herbal Citrus cream
Futur with Super Iridium blade
Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel w/ alcohol
TSD Victorian Rose Milk
Floris No. 89

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I haven't used a straight razor for a week. Grabbing instead a vintage Gillette I found in an unpacked box that had been in my closet for over 2 years untouched. Prior to that I had only used a DE maybe 3 or 4 times in a year. Since discovering the British Gillette #58, I have been happy to use it daily.

Tuesday

British Gillette #58
Red IP
Vulfix #41
Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Floris JF Aftershave

Tuesday

Simpson's Wee Scot
Mitchell's Wool Fat
30's Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Treet Dura Sharp
Thayers Rose Witch Hazel With Aloe
Real Shave Company Daily Soothing Skin Balm

I am keyboard-challenged..So, I never meet a short cut that I don't like..But earlier today, I remembered being a newbie, and being frustrated by wet shaving abbreviations and acronyms..In that spirit, I wrote it all out today..Look for more shortcuts soon....

Enjoy a world class shave today,
Julian

Wade & Butcher : Penwork's Silvertip : Tabac : Floid

The wedge never disappoints.

proxy.php

Great shot Kevin!

It's so great I have considered growing a beard just so I could mow that sucker off with 3"-4" of steel. But that would take too long and I am impatient, so I will settle for mowing stubble.

AOS Lemon SS / Rooney #1/1 Finest / Dovo Special / Weleda AL / Weleda ASB

i certianly hope you're not going to grow a beard! Now sounds like the perfect time for me to get a couple of razors back to you. the Friodur shaved extremely smooth this morning :smile:

I haven't used a straight razor for a week. Grabbing instead a vintage Gillette I found in an unpacked box that had been in my closet for over 2 years untouched. Prior to that I had only used a DE maybe 3 or 4 times in a year. Since discovering the British Gillette #58, I have been happy to use it daily.

Tuesday

British Gillette #58
Red IP
Vulfix #41
Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Floris JF Aftershave

nice to see your posts here, Mike!

Tuesday

Simpson's Wee Scot
Mitchell's Wool Fat
30's Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Treet Dura Sharp
Thayers Rose Witch Hazel With Aloe
Real Shave Company Daily Soothing Skin Balm

I am keyboard-challenged..So, I never meet a short cut that I don't like..But earlier today, I remembered being a newbie, and being frustrated by wet shaving abbreviations and acronyms..In that spirit, I wrote it all out today..Look for more shortcuts soon....

Enjoy a world class shave today,
Julian

Julian, abreviations or not you're posts are always appreciated!

Hot Water
J&J Aloe and Vitamin E Baby Oil
Bigelow Cream
Tweezerman Brush
Astra Blade
57 Gillette Superspeed
Witch Hazel
Nivea ASB

Now that was a nice shave! No Runs No Drips No Errors!

My morning peace of mind
1. warm H2O
2.TOBS Lavender
3. Ranger Tech with Wilkinson Sword
4. Cold Water Rinse
5. Porters Aftershave Lotion
6. Burts Bees After Shave

Afternoon Pick-me up:tongue_sm
7. McLas Metholated Bay Rum
8. Pinaud Clubman

I love using a bay rum in combination with Clubman

Tuesday October 13, 2009 noon

Hardware:
Brush: KBBSBB
Razor: 69 super adj. 9/5
Blade: Red IP (2)

Software:
Soap: Mama Bear Green Irish Tweed Type shave stick
Splash: Ralph Lauren Polo Black
Milk: TSD Blueberry

Tuesday

Schick "type I1" Injector / Chinese-made Schick-branded Injector blades / Semogue 750 Mixed Badger / Proraso Aloe and Green Tea preshave / Proraso Aloe and Green Tea shaving soap / Publix WH / Alt-Innsbruck after shave

Tuesday, 13th:

Tabac with a dash of C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
EJ Medium Best Badger
Face lather
Astra blade
HD
Thayer's Medicated
Proraso Green

using a homemade scuttle, which is a medium stainless kitchen bowl filled halfway with hot water into which I lay my Starbuck green and black Halloween coffee mug as a brush holder.

Now I got to go rake leaves!!

Shogun Onyx Super Badger
JMP 14 Medallon Taurino
TOBS avocado
Thayers WH
Alt Innsbruck

proxy.php

I am starting with the straight,.....I have to practice to improve my skills with it, but it's a very hard way

proxy.php

Newbie Wetshaving Progress Report:

13 October, 2009, about 3:30PM.

Merkur 38C (Long Handled Barber Pole)
Feather Blade, day 1
Rooney Style 3, Size 1 Brush
Omega Shave Cream

proxy.php

Four passes: WTG, XTG-chin-to-ears, XTG-ears-to-chin, ATG. Performed some blade buffing during each pass on certain difficult patches. No touch up after final pass.

Applied alum block to wet face post shave. Pronounced sting in the blade buffed areas with no sensation at all in the un-blade buffed ones. I'm guessing it's because I'm using the Barber Pole Merkur, which I've not used as much as the Futur and don't handle as well. I may use the Barber Pole for my next several shaves to get better acquainted with it, and therefore have better control over it.

Reflecting on this makes me feel real admiration for people who shave well with a variety of str8s. Not only are they more difficult, I imagine each individual str8 razor has a pronounced personality; even two str8s of the same make and model but with different owners might be very different because of the respective owners' preferences in stropping and honing.

Rinsed off alum and applied Nivea After Shave Cooling Balm and Haslinger After Shave Lotion.

Comments:
—I have a much better sense of how to build lather with the Haslinger soap than with the Omega cream. Simple explantion: I use the soap much more than the cream, even though I love the menthol and eucalyptus of the cream; the sandalwood soap, OTOH, is just nice. It's as if I have a perverse desire to save the cream for a special occasion—and I have only the one tube, while I have five pucks of the soap. But since I have three tubs of the cream on the way, I don't need to save it anymore. :biggrin:
—Even though the 38C is about the same size and weight as the Futur, it's a much different beast. The point of balance is more towards the middle of the handle, whereas with the Futur it's the "waist" below the adjustment scale. I noticed myself several times reaching up on the 38C's handle, to the Futur's balance point. Likely cause of more pressure applied than I wanted.
—Two nicks above my upper lip.
—Almost no post shave tactile sense of whiskers in difficult patches, even on stretching the skin and rubbing my hand against the grain there.
—All in all, a damn near BBS shave! :001_smile

Last edited:
Tuesday Morning:

Hot Shower/Proraso Glycerin Cleansing Bar/Hot Towel
1953 Gillette 40's Style SS
Swedish Gillette (Shave #3)
Kent/Altesse Pure Badger
Godrej Deluxe SC
Aqua Velva MUSK A/S
Vaseline IRML Lotion
Preferred Stock

I tend to have a lot more to write about concerning my shaves when they don't go that well. Today, I have hardly any complaints. The Godrej acted a bit weirder than normal. Perhaps I used too much water. It was a bit of a chore getting a third shave out of the Swede but he toughed it out (the little trooper.) The Aqua Velva Musk was a purchase that I made at the grocery store yesterday. The scent is nice but doesn't have a ton of staying power, hence the Preferred Stock. I also picked up some Clubman Musk over the weekend as well. We'll give that a try this week too, perhaps. Everything else was top notch.

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom