What's new

ouch

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I was getting my newest razor in the great shaving experiment ready for a shave this morning. In my eagerness to get it ready, I reached into my shaving drawer and sliced roughly 1/8 of the surface skin of the tip of my thumb finger nearly off. After a lot of bleeding, and debating whether to go to the doctor's, and the misery of trying to use a red tip with a brand-new derby blade, without a thumb, I have made two important conclusions that I thought I should share with you.

A) Derby's, though not the sharpest blades around, will still kill you if you let them.

B) Haste makes waste, and apparently eats up thumbs.

The most amazing thing was, when I went to survey the razor that did the damage, it was just lying there, with not a visible trace of blood. Those things are S-H-A-R-P.:bored:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sorry to hear of your mishap, and wishes for a speedy recovery.

But you know with a title like that, there is bound to be a certain moderator in here shortly.......

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
To which moderator are you referring? I can easily change the title - I didn't mean to break any rules.

Shizzy --

I did a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. It's easy to do.

attachment.php

-- John Gehman

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good thing it wasn't worse...

Ouch... :lol: Good thread name! :lol:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Update:

After determining that I did not need to go to the hospital to stop the bleeding (yay Factor V Liden), I moped around with a bandage wrapped firmly round my thumb for a bit. I felt gross. I hadn't showered - I had originally hurt myself getting into the shower - so I determined to shower and share.

Let me caution everybody on a couple of points. First: hot water and big, open wounds, make for a lot of pain. Second: it is exceedingly difficult to lather/shave with no thumb, though not impossible. :001_005: Third: Gillette red tips gave me a BBS shave, even considering the fact that I had the above impediments, and only did the basic 3 passes. NICE.

As I said before, Derbys are not my favorite blade, but I have a bit more respect for them now. :a30:

You might want to stay away from alcohol splashes for a while, too. Put hand sanitizer on the stay away list, too. Ouch, indeed.

"I keep a close watch on this blade of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
But I got careless once and now I look to find
I had ten fingers
Now I got nine"

:eek:

Hope it heals soon, and that Red Tip serves you well, bandage or no.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I feel for you.

Now you've just convinced me that I need to move my "not-used razors" (Mach 3s, etc.) to somewhere that's NOT near where I keep the accessories.

I had a near your-situation the other day when I was trying to find something in my travel case--just felt the edge of a travel razor in there and pulled my hand out before true laceration could happen.

And this is the one thing I don't like about the DE thing--handling the blades. I hate unwrapping them from the package, because I know one day I'm going to nick myself on an edge. I also hate throwing them away for the same reason--since I never think to rewrap them in the wrapper from a new blade, I always wrap them in a few tissues. But I know one day I'll be reaching into the trash barrel looking for the cap of something that just feel into it and...well, title of your thread.

Jeff in Boston

I also hate throwing them away for the same reason--since I never think to rewrap them in the wrapper from a new blade, I always wrap them in a few tissues. But I know one day I'll be reaching into the trash barrel looking for the cap of something that just feel into it and...well, title of your thread.

This brings up an important matter of best practices.

Do not throw razor blades in the trash unless they're in a secure, solid container. None of this wrapping in a few tissues. Don't fool around with this kinda stuff.

If you search around, you can find a couple of threads concerning how to make yourself a blade bank. There are also a few featured vendors who sell pre-made blade banks for ~$1 or so for this purpose. The other solution is to get a sharps disposal container from a pharmacy.

- Chris

Last edited:
I think most of us have been there, maybe not to that extent but I cut myself one time and I barely felt it.

I now have a healthy respect for those blades, store and keep them and all sharp objects in a safe manner.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I feel for you. ...

And this is the one thing I don't like about the DE thing--handling the blades. I hate unwrapping them from the package, because I know one day I'm going to nick myself on an edge. I also hate throwing them away for the same reason--since I never think to rewrap them in the wrapper from a new blade, I always wrap them in a few tissues. But I know one day I'll be reaching into the trash barrel looking for the cap of something that just feel into it and...well, title of your thread.

Jeff in Boston

A couple of thoughts....

Get a blade bank. Make one out of a soup can. Buy one. Quit throwing razor blades in the trash. Blades wrapped in tissue are really just loose in the trash, and somebody down the road might get a nasty surprise.

Secondly, blades you ARE aware of really aren't that big a deal. Just be careful and you shouldn't come to serious harm.

Top Bottom