What's new

Less Aggressive Razor for newbie?

Hey guys,

I have a Merkur HD on the way, but was just wondering if there was perhaps something less aggressive I should start out with. I've heard "super-speed" tossed around out here, but It looks like that's not something I can just buy off of amazon.

What would you guys recommend?

Start here on B/S/T and find a '40s (my favorite) or '50s generation Super Speed or a Tech (ball-end or fat handle). Both mild razors and IMHO almost mistake-proof. The Merkur HD is a fine razor but maybe a bit more challenging when you're starting out. Get you technique nailed and you'll be able to use most any DE with no harm. Good luck!

Start here on B/S/T and find a '40s (my favorite) or '50s generation Super Speed or a Tech (ball-end or fat handle). Both mild razors and IMHO almost mistake-proof. The Merkur HD is a fine razor but maybe a bit more challenging when you're starting out. Get you technique nailed and you'll be able to use most any DE with no harm. Good luck!

+1. Though I don't think the HD is a bad razor to start with, based on its reputation, having not yet used it myself, looking around the B/S/T is a great idea. You will find lots of different razors to choose from. But do a little research. Use Google, online vendors, and the review portion of this website to get a few ideas of what razors you would like to try, and how they might suit your beard and face.

Welcome, and good luck!

A vintage 1950's Blue-tip Super-Speed (eBay or the BST) is an amazingly smooth and easy razor to use. I wish I had had one when I started out.

2nding the above advice, any of the Superspeeds, or a Gillette Tech should be fairly mild. These can be had our Buy/Sell/Trade section for less than $20.00.

If you want to buy new, the mildest razor made is the Weishi, which is a Superspeed clone, and should set you back around $15.00.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I really wish I could get at least the Weishi locally so I can get started....oh well, hopefully good things come to those who wait!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I really wish I could get at least the Weishi locally so I can get started....oh well, hopefully good things come to those who wait!

How thoughtless of me to not offer when I posted. PM me your address and I'll give you a '40s or '50s Super Speed - your choice!

Texbilly is exactly correct. I would add only that the 40's Superspeed is probably the easiest and most fun to use DE out there, so that would be my first choice. As he said, it is almost mistake proof.

Enjoy!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
2nding the above advice, any of the superspeeds, or a gillette tech should be fairly mild. These can be had our buy/sell/trade section for less than $20.00.

If you want to buy new, the mildest razor made is the weishi, which is a superspeed clone, and should set you back around $15.00.

+1

I wouldn't worry until you've tried the HD with a few different blades. HDs aren't particularly aggressive if you ask me, odds are you'll have no problems.

im new too, ive got the HD and so far so good although ive got nothing to compare it to until my super speed shows up. I will say the Feathers checked me when i got too confident.

Top Bottom