What's new

Three Piece Versus One Piece Gillette's

What are the advantages of one design over the other?
The only thing I can think of is the one piece razors are much easier to load and unload with less chance of cutting your fingers but the TTO design might also be a disadvantage (more parts to potentially break).
What are your thoughts?
Wp

Your initial thoughts are good.

A disadvantage of a one piece design can be that the profile of the head (the silo doors) has to be a little higher than you can manage with a simple cap that's found on a three piece.

As you point out, there's complexity with a one piece. This generally doesn't cause problems with most of the Gillettes of the latter part of the 20th century unless they've been damaged through dropping. Obviously, a one piece razor would be more expensive to manufacture.

- Chris

R

rainman

Every razor shaves differently. I wouldn't hold out on a new experience because you are fixed on one piece or 3 piece. Some people do this. I've never cut my fingers changing a blade with any razor.

Some prefer simplicity of use, other prefer simplicity of design.

What are the advantages of one design over the other?
What are your thoughts?
Wp

Hiya,

I've used many types of razors(30-40) over the years, and have found only one that's perfect for me. I also use a few others that work very well, but all the other razors were lacking in some way. That's just to give you a little info about my experience. Keep in mind my opinion certainly won't be the same as everyone else.........that's for sure.

The best thing a three piece razor has going for it would be it's diversity. There's some very mild yet effective ones like a Tech, and others that touch the ceiling of the aggressive level. There are LOTS of open comb type three piecers if you like those models. There's a wider range of shaves possible in the OC type if an aggressive type is your meat.

Heh, plus, some of those three piece razors are beautiful........some great designs. That always counts for something, but it's really the shave that matters.

No, my favorite razor isn't an open comb, but I can see the value in some of those types.....especially for members with very coarse beards. Many of the OC types seem to be a step higher(or two) on the aggressive level than a slant.

Martin

Last edited:
i've certainly found cleaning 3 piece razors to be easier, one piece have adjustable versions. is there a non one piece adjustable razor?

the TTO design might also be a disadvantage (more parts to potentially break).

Maybe, but then they seem to have held up well. I have some of the early TTOs, and they're between 70 and 75 years old, still working. They'll bend or break if mishandled, but they're not really prone to falling apart from normal use.

is there a non one piece adjustable razor?

I thought I read something here about an old gillette you were supposed to adjust by not screwing the handle on all the way. Did I imagine that?

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think you have your answers up here. I prefer a 3 pieces razor than TTO. I used to love a TTO... Then I bought a Muhle R89 old model...

I think you have your answers up here. I prefer a 3 pieces razor than TTO. I used to love a TTO... Then I bought a Muhle R89 old model...

I too prefer 3 piece razors. Easy to clean and bullet proof. Plus they can be quite handle for traveling as they pack down well.

Curious Martin, what is your favorite razor?

Hi there,

After lots of trial and error, I finally settled on the Fatboy as my 'go to' razor. This happened after trying many other types, so I knew what I was looking for by then. First time trying a Fatboy was a revelation to me, and I haven't found another razor that works better for my face.

I believe the head design has a lot to do with how well this works for me, since it's a different profile than almost all other Gillettes. Only one that's similar is the Executive(I also love these),which is basically a gold fatboy with a Toggle type handle knurling.

The fatboy(set on #3) is the only razor that pairs up perfectly for me with a Feather blade, and that combo really is magical. The razor seems to tame this blade somehow, which surprised me when first trying that set up.

I should also mention my second favorite razor is probably a Tech, so I do appreciate a mild three piece razor as well. The Feather is wrong for that type, but the Iridium pairs up perfectly.

Martin

Top Bottom