What's new

Traveling With Shaving Scuttle and Creams

Here is some of my shaving gear. It doesn't show my first straight razor; that arrived after this photo was taken. I need to travel to Florida for Thanksgiving. What is the best way to ship this stuff to my destination? I would like it to arrive undamaged, of course. Suppose I want to drive around for a few days before flying home, what is the best way to transport gear in a car? Use a Pelican case? Thanks, Bob

I've traveled around with my straight a fair bit and all I do is wrap a rubber band around it to keep the blade from accidentally opening en route. By the look of your picture I don't think you need a pelican case or anything. Cut a toilet paper roll down to size and use it as a sleeve for your brush to protect the bristles, wrap your scuttle in a small hand towel and maybe stuff a wash cloth inside the bowl part, and your tube of cream ought to be fine as is. Put all the items in a smallish box and pack it in your luggage. Don't forget your strop and I would pack that separate so that it could lay out straight so as to avoid getting any uneven parts in the leather. Hope that helps.

What Nizzyrate said, but for your brush you can a hit a pharmacy and ask for a pill bottle then drill some holes in the cap. It will cost you little, usually free.

Leave the scuttle and brush at home. Packing along the extra gear isn't worth the hassles of trying to transport something fragile like a scuttle.

You can get a mighty good shave with cream, and even soap, just by rubbing up some lather with the palm of your hand and fingers. Do your normal face-prep, and just rub it directly on your wet beard and go to it.

leave the scuttle at home. bring the brush inside a toilet paper tube

+1. At home I have a ceramic scuttle. I never travel with it. Instead, I have a small plastic salsa bowl that I float it in the sink full of hot water. In the bowl is my nice warm lather and brush while I shave. Not as convenient but works fine.

Definitely leave the scuttle. It's just not worth the risk. I mean how would your vacation start if you got their to find your beautiful scuttle was destroyed?

You can have a go at face lathering or just use a bowl / cup from the place you're staying at.

All the best,
Michael.

It'd be cheaper to buy two $1 bowls at a store at your destination. Make sure they're made from some sort of stonework/ceramic. Then just put how water in one bowl, and then put the other bowl in the other bowl.

L

Lo'Tek

Like they said --^

You can use any bowl or cup for lather. I would probably take a brush. Get one you don't care about loosing, leaving behind, or messing up as much.

But there's always the weight issue. Do you need one?

I'd get that scuttle out ASAP.

I carry my razor in a dart case with the razor wrapped in leather when I travel. I put a rubber-band around the case. A razor fell out in my bag once and I thought I had lost it. I use the rubber-band ever since.

|}- ;

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom