What's new

BOTD: Black Of The Day

Darjeeling, Namring Upper Estate, 2010 1st Flush, FTGOP1

Got this as a free sample from TeaSource.com along with my nice assams. It is a bright and flowery darjeeling. I like it, but I think I feel more like more assams or a nice oolong than this today.

Darjeeling, Castleton Moonlight EX-3, 2011 First Flush

I got this tea from teaemporium.net. I'll get right down to it: I've never tasted a Darjeeling as delicious as this one. It is floral but in a deep and complex way. It is bright and sweet and delicious. Worth every single penny.

Orange Pekoe isn't even a type of type tea, it's a mesh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_pekoe

Go figure?

Yeah, it's a classification for the tea leaf which usually means that a bud and at least one leaf where picked together. Although I remember once, way back when, buying some tea bags of "Orange Pekoe" tea and not understanding why it didn't taste like oranges! :biggrin1: Then I looked it up and figured out why!

The rest of the terms are used to classify the leaf (i.e. SFTF) to state if a lot of tips are used, if they're golden tips, etc. So it doesn't denote quality, merely leaf characteristics. As far as I know, it's not wholly regulated (if it is at all).

Well, I clearly like black tea much more than green. I wish that were not the case as I understand green tea has many more health benifits... but there it is. I even think I like it more than coffee and trust me, I never thought I would say that. Anyway, todays tea is:

Harney & Sons Golden Snail
We found Golden Snail while looking for a replacement for the beloved Keemun Mao Feng. A terrific China Black tea from Hubei Province, it has curls of dark and gold tea, thus reminding someone of snails. We can assure you that no snails are used or hurt with this tea. The dark cocoa flavors bring to mind un-sweetened chocolate.

To me this tastes a lot like Keemun when just done steeping (4 min). Chocolate notes dominate when it cools a bit. Yum. I have had other teas described by others as having cocoa notes I simply couldn't find. Not so here. I like this one a lot. Glad I ordered the 4oz tin. :thumbup:

Another one bites the dust - Keemun Hao Ya A is done.

A pound or so of tea from Upton is on the way, and if memory serves, at least one Darjeeling made the cut. Otherwise, it's down to the Fengqing.

Today I tried for the first time some Earl Grey from the French tea company St. Dalfour. This is one of the more unusual earl greys I've tried as it's made with 100% organic ceylon and has a peppery note to the taste. It's delicious, however, and superb with a spot of milk. A box comes with 25 tea bags and although the bergamot is not as prominent as I would prefer all in all I think I've found a new addition to my tea stash. This would also make a great winter earl grey, a season when I tend to drink more straight blacks, lapsang souchongs, or masala chais.

OK, you guys are going to think that I have fallen off the wagon but I just put some of these pyramid sachet teas into the inventory and I had to try one. So, tonight is a blend of Keemun, Assam and ceylon teas in a tea labeled as English Breakfast tea. I am very pleased with this entry into the inventory. It provides a quick, convenient as well as portable tea to the inventory. While this may not be as good as Keemum Hao Ya A using a more traditional infusion method, it is definitely more than acceptable. I think that the blend works well if I do say so. I think that those that are looking for a convenient pyramid tea bag will find this very nice. I may have to start carrying some of these in suit pockets when I am at meetings or conferences. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Steve, I think there's a need for high-quality tea in bags. I might prefer the single-origin approach, but blends aren't inherently bad (same goes for coffee, really). It's good to see someone discerning over loose teas giving thought to more portable/practical delivery methods.

Oh, I had a really nice Darjeeling w/breakfast - my first order from Upton came in, which included a mouthful of a tea (and I quote): No.1 Tippy Orthodox GFOP Darjeeling. It's definitely a notch above the Darjeeling I got in a sampler from Adagio.

I found that Numi teabags are not bad at all. They use hold leaf teas and the favors are not oils they are the actual ingredient. For example, their rose favored tea has rose petals in the teabag.

Steve, I think there's a need for high-quality tea in bags. I might prefer the single-origin approach, but blends aren't inherently bad (same goes for coffee, really). It's good to see someone discerning over loose teas giving thought to more portable/practical delivery methods.

Oh, I had a really nice Darjeeling w/breakfast - my first order from Upton came in, which included a mouthful of a tea (and I quote): No.1 Tippy Orthodox GFOP Darjeeling. It's definitely a notch above the Darjeeling I got in a sampler from Adagio.
That is a tasty darjeeling, and the first one I ever had (that wasn't bagged dust). Although, some of the best darjeelings I've had I got from Tea Emporium. The Castleton first flush is freaking amazing.

D

dim7542

Yeah, it's a classification for the tea leaf which usually means that a bud and at least one leaf where picked together. Although I remember once, way back when, buying some tea bags of "Orange Pekoe" tea and not understanding why it didn't taste like oranges! :biggrin1: Then I looked it up and figured out why!

The rest of the terms are used to classify the leaf (i.e. SFTF) to state if a lot of tips are used, if they're golden tips, etc. So it doesn't denote quality, merely leaf characteristics. As far as I know, it's not wholly regulated (if it is at all).

I think best one is ceylon tea

Top Bottom