What's new

BOTD: Black Of The Day

well i got my first good black a couple days ago... lapchange shouchoung or however its spelled. and heres my take on it.
4.5G 95degrees C
proxy.php

infusion 1 (1M)
color weak cofee
aroma pine smoke and black tea.
taste ligt bitterness and pine resin almost like a smoked coffee
proxy.php

2nd infusion (1m)
color orange
taste pretty much the same as above just melower its kinda like islay whisky without the peat.

3rd infusion (2M) [conclusion]
this tea is kinda bitter i guess its a product of the pine smokeing. its almost a lighter islay whisky i almost get the feeling of blowing smoke rings.

Lapsong Souchong Black Dragon acquired as a sample from UptonTea.

I'm trying to understand Lapsong Souchong teas. Most of what I've tried (all from Upton) really just taste like drinking a campfire. Way too much strong smoke and nothing else. I've tried blending it with other teas, but even a few leaves overpower the entire blend.

This one seems to be the exception and has given me a glimpse into why people would drink lapsong. It's still quite smokey but it's got a tad more to it; a bit of sweetness underneath the smoke. This is a cup I can finish! :biggrin1:

Lapsong Souchong Black Dragon acquired as a sample from UptonTea.

I'm trying to understand Lapsong Souchong teas. Most of what I've tried (all from Upton) really just taste like drinking a campfire. Way too much strong smoke and nothing else. I've tried blending it with other teas, but even a few leaves overpower the entire blend.

This one seems to be the exception and has given me a glimpse into why people would drink lapsong. It's still quite smokey but it's got a tad more to it; a bit of sweetness underneath the smoke. This is a cup I can finish! :biggrin1:

if you enjoy islay scotch you will enjoy LS

if you enjoy islay scotch you will enjoy LS

Although I could finish the cup of the black dragon LS, I don't think I'll be going for anything more than samples of it in the near future. So, perhaps not an awesome endorsement for islay scotch! :lol:

Harishpur Estate TGFOP CL Assam from Upton.

It's a really nice, malty assam which they don't carry any longer in non-broken leaf variety. I do love me some assam though.

Did you get any black tea from Steve? What kinds?
The only non-pu I've ordered from him was the grade a dark roasted TGY which I'll be picking up from my post office after work today. But I almost got the black & gold yunnan and the keemun hao ya A.

A 2:2:1 blend I make of the following teas (in order) from Upton
  • Shawlands Estate Uva Ceylon OP
  • Keemun Mao Feng
  • Zao Bei Jian Congou
I get a smokey and fruity tea out of this blend that tastes great when I don't oversteep it, like I just did. :glare:

Tingalibam Estate Assam, 2010 2nd Flush SFTFOP1

This is my first assam that I didn't purchase from Upton Tea - I got it from TeaSource.com - and I have to say it was certainly more complex, delicate and tasty than my favorite from Upton.

The prevailing note I get from this tea - both from the dry leaves and the liquor - is black pepper. It was pretty mellow and combined some vegetal with the signature maltyness I've come to love about Assams. I really enjoyed it. :thumbup1:

Assam, Khongea Estate, 2nd Flush 2010, SFTGFOP

Lots of golden tips with this guy, Between this and the other one I bought from TeaSource.com, I certainly feel like I've been missing out on Assams. It is sweet and malty and very full flavored. Excellent tea!

Top Bottom