What's new

Aftershave Splashapalooza Starts Today

Good morning gents. Well, well, well. A quick check of UPS' online tracking service reveals my package from QED is "out for delivery" This is a most welcome addition to the toiletry locker since there are no less than three aftershave splashes in it. To make it even better, I have never used any of the three before. They are TOOBS Mr. Taylor, D.R. Harris Marlborough, and TOOBS #74 Victorian Lime. I really want to give these a go. I love the Marlborough shave soap and I hope the scent of the splash is close to it. Mr. Taylor and Victorian Limes will be completely new experiences for me. I certainly hope I like them. I am sure I will but you never know. I will keep you posted and maybe a pic or two. If I can find our ruddy digital camera.

Regards, Todd

I'm always on the lookout for a new and good-smelling splash. I'll be interested to read your thoughts.

i really liked the smell of the victorian limes but its too expensive. so i just picked up some booster iced lime. doesn't have as nice a scent but its waaaaaaaay cheaper.

Well gentlemen, the much anticipated parcel arrived this afternoon and I am more than pleased. All three of the splashes smell absolutely divine. I was really unsure of the #74 Victorian Limes beforehand but one sniff told me it was just the ticket. Many of these citrus scents have a very nice lime scent in the bottle but are just a bit single note-like and not very interesting. This is something different. It is most assuredly lime yet it is deeper. If that makes any sense. I have seen it posited on these forums that 74 Vic Limes is the best lime scent out there. I agree. I just hope it wears well on my skin. It will be the aftershave of choice tomorrow morning.

As for the Marlborough, it turned out just fine in the scent department. The Marlborough smells just like the soap to me which is a GOOD thing. It does contain menthol and I am sure all the Harris a/s splashes do. I would prefer that it did not but I don't pick up a lot of it in the bottle aroma. I think I noticed it in the Arlington because of the bright, heady mixture with the citrus oils. The combination certainly made its presence known if not overwhelmingly so. I hope the effect is more subdued in the Marlborouh. As far as I am concerned, Harris hit a major home run with the Marlborough scent. It is a real favourite of mine.

Now the Mr. Taylor. I really didn't know what to expect but I am QUITE pleased with it. This is one fine scent. It is quite complex yet not "loud" like so many department store offereings. It is unmistakenly masculine. For some reason it reminds me of one of the Truefitt and Hill scents but better. I can't put my finger on it. I think the tarragon and incsence mix are what makes this scent work. I splashed on a bit before going out for dinner tonight and like my Taylor Sandalwood, it starts evapourating the second you splash it into your hands. It got the 1tsp of aloe juice treatment after the first application.

I looked at Taylor's website and this one has a cornucopia of scent components and they put it together masterfully. It is at once traditional yet not in the least bit dated smelling. It has enough complexity to be somewhat exotic and at the same time classy. You could wear this with a suit, sports jacket and trousers, a polo shirt, or even denim. It is that versatile. Thankfully it has none of that fresh/water/sweet candy smell I have come to expect from a lot of newer scents. I don't know when Mr. Taylor was formulated but this is one that was simply done right. End of story. I am unsure what scent category this falls under but I just call it great. I am pretty sure a backup bottle of this(maybe the cologne version)will be bought pretty soon. I think of this splash as a "bridge" scent. It works for us uber traditional men yet would be right at home on a smartly dressed twentyone year old. I have to urge you chappies who are siting on the fence about complex fragrances to give this a go. It really is special.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom