What's new

New to DE & Wetshaving, Advice?

Hey guys,

I, like many before me, have stumbled into the addictive hobby of wet shaving. I have my Merkur HD and Taylor of old bond cream on the way. (Along with a brush, and some blades.)

I just wanted to get some suggestions regarding both pre-shave and aftershave.

Is there anyone that does *not* like methol in their pre-shave? I have a feeling I won't like it, though I'm willing to try.

I would love to hear what your guy's favorite pre and post shave lotions/creams are.

Thanks!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No pre shave product, just a good hot shower and wash of the face.

After shave - I'm an alcohol kind of guy, not really into the balms and lotions.
The sky is the limit for aftershaves, any myriad of possibilities exist, much more than could be listed here.

Witch Hazel is a good idea, followed by your AS of choice.
Find a scent you like and give it a whirl.
Some of the "old standards" are pretty good
Pinaud Clubman
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Aqua Velva (menthol heavy warning)
Vi John Ivy Club (Original Old Spice Clone)
Any decent Bay Rum

The recommended list you will get here will be more than you could possibly use in your lifetime. Good Luck, and Welcome to B&B

Keep us posted on how it's going for you.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

You don't have to use a metholed product pre/post shave. Pre shave, Proraso has a very good product (with menthol). You can always use Kyle's prep (hot towel + lather). It's very good, that's what I do.

Post, it depends on your aftershave. If you want something mild, I would go with Nivea sensitive. Cheap and easy to find!

Phil also has great advices!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I did have another question...what is that particular cream/aftershave ingredient I should stay away from? Supposedly it thins your skin? I think it starts with an H??

Or is that just a myth?

Also, What creams/soaps would you recommend for sensitive skin?

Last edited:
Proraso do a soap with Aloe and green tea for sensitive skin. It's the white tub. Haven't tried it though.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Welcome to B&B and traditional wet shaving. No pre-shave for me besides splashing hot water on my face. I like a nice aftershave and I have tried several...working my way through some Floris JF aftershave currently. Enjoy your "discovery."

Welcome, Johnnyr. I use no pre-shave treatment beyond a hot shower and/or a hot towel on the face. For after, I have been using Trumper's Limes Extract Skin Food, and absolutely love it.

Top Bottom