What's new

Any Rooibos tea drinkers here?

My South African friend put me on to this stuff a few months back and I really like it. Me and caffeine don't get along so well so I usually stick to herbal teas (with the odd green tea/English tea when I'm feelin' a bit crazy) but this stuff seems great hot or cold. Looks like wood chips but tastes damn fine any time of the year. Any other fans? Brands to look out for? Brewing tips? Nutritional fun facts? :smile:

It has an aftertaste that I don't really care for, but I keep trying. I have some in the mail right now. For noncaffeinated options I usually go with fruit tea or honeypie.

It has an aftertaste that I don't really care for, but I keep trying. I have some in the mail right now. For noncaffeinated options I usually go with fruit tea or honeypie.

Yeah I can see what you're saying with the aftertaste. I think it just reminds me of when I was a kid hiking around or out fishing and I'd always (for some unknown reason) be chewing on a stick of wood...kind of like a dog I guess. :biggrin:

I quite enjoy Rooibos. You should try Vanilla Rooibos (I think Mem tea makes one). Mem actually has a few flavored Rooibos offerings. Definitely one of my favorites. (gotta have my japanese green teas in the morning though!)

Last edited:
I drink it by the gallon. We just buy the President's Choice brand (it's a premium no-name brand here in Canada). It's cheap and very very tasty. I have read that rooibos contains a lot of antioxidants, I also find it relaxing. I don't care for herbal teas, too fruity, so Rooibos is perfect when I don't want caffeine.

s.

Yeah I can see what you're saying with the aftertaste. I think it just reminds me of when I was a kid hiking around or out fishing and I'd always (for some unknown reason) be chewing on a stick of wood...kind of like a dog I guess. :biggrin:

custom title!

I buy mine from Teavana.com

I mix the Teavana Rooibos with Tevanna Chaimate (one of their yerba mate teas) - the combination of the two are extraordinary!

I've been drinking Rooibos for a few years now, and I've never purchased the same brand twice! Not that I haven't wanted to, it's just that it isn't around anymore when I go back for it.

I've learned that Rooibos is like any other type of tea, there are great ones and some that truly suck. If you've tried it and didn't like it, then give another brand a shot. I find that good Rooibos is earthy with some spice added and smelling of elements of the woods at this time of year. I usually drink it late evening when I don't want caffeine.

The brand that I have right now is Rishi's Organic Pure Rooibos. It's a loose leaf tea that is quite red and smells wonderful in the can! I haven't tried it yet since I just picked it up yesterday.

I love Rooibos! I buy it by the kilo from uptontea, the lower grade packs a nice punch. I brew it in a little 5 cup coffee brewer, but never make more than 2 cups at once, the needles expand quite a bit in the filter basket. Sometimes I put honey or vanilla extract in it, but not often. I love the taste, has a nice spicy flavor that reminds me of tobacco.

Top Bottom