What's new

GOTD- Green of the Day

I finally got the brewing right for my Makaibari Silver Tips. I've been trying to brew it like black/oolong tea, but what it really wants is to be brewed like a green tea.

Very sweet, with a bit of fruit and spice.

Isn't there an old saw, "its not the tool, its the carpenter"? Sounds about right.

Go Colts! :biggrin1:

Just when I was giving up hope on green tea. A box of more green tea shows up today. This time is was all japanese tea. I was so hesitant on brewing them up as I thought green tea had been making me sleepy. Wow was I wrong Im sitting here as if I had some espresso.

The flavors have been intense and delightful all very impressive. :001_tt1:

First up Sencha Fukamidori, sweet smooth much bolder and more enjoyable than the teas ive been drinking.

Next up some Houjicha Gold, light but robust in flavor reminds of that honey smack rice puff cereal. Instant satisfaction and the taste sent me in a state of nostalgia.

Oh and Genmaicha Extra Green just forget it :001_wub:

What a true delight, strong bold in flavors with a hint of that toasted rice and dusted in matcha. A real eye opening highly enjoyable tea! Im not sleepy at all with these japanese greens in fact quite the opposite.

Yes it tastes as good as it looks :001_tt1:

Oh and Genmaicha Extra Green just forget it :001_wub:

What a true delight, strong bold in flavors with a hint of that toasted rice and dusted in matcha. A real eye opening highly enjoyable tea! Im not sleepy at all with these japanese greens in fact quite the opposite.

Yes it tastes as good as it looks :001_tt1:

Looks like you paid Den's a visit. You got a nice variety there and they all look tasty. Sip Tip, with Japanese greens you need to use a lot more leaf than with Chinese. Lets say you are using a 10 oz teapot, for Houjicha you would use 10 gms of leaf-boiling water and a 1-2 minute infusion time (2-3 infusions) for Sencha you would use about 7 gms of leaf and a 1-2 min. infusion time with water at 175 degrees, Genmaicha would be about the same as for Sencha. Brewed Houjicha should be about the same color as weak coffee and the Sencha should be a shade darker in color than what you show in the pic. Now mind you, I,m not telling you how to brew your tea but if you want to taste how it's intended to taste looks like you need to bump up the leaf qty. :001_tt2:

Looks like you paid Den's a visit. You got a nice variety there and they all look tasty. Sip Tip, with Japanese greens you need to use a lot more leaf than with Chinese. Lets say you are using a 10 oz teapot, for Houjicha you would use 10 gms of leaf-boiling water and a 1-2 minute infusion time (2-3 infusions) for Sencha you would use about 7 gms of leaf and a 1-2 min. infusion time with water at 175 degrees, Genmaicha would be about the same as for Sencha. Brewed Houjicha should be about the same color as weak coffee and the Sencha should be a shade darker in color than what you show in the pic. Now mind you, I,m not telling you how to brew your tea but if you want to taste how it's intended to taste looks like you need to bump up the leaf qty. :001_tt2:

Thank you bud for the advice much appreciated, I know I shorted myself but my samples are so little I was trying to push them :crying:

Yoshitaka Trading Co Green Wind Storm Matcha

This is okay for low- to middle-level. It has the body but it's a tad bitter and not as sweet as I'd prefer. I am working up the fiscal courage to order the always-wonderful Ippodo Seiun.

Love the Houjicha! Does anyone know a good place to get this online?

One of my favorite places to buy Japanese teas is www.hibiki-an.com, great teas, great service and super fast free shipping. Hibiki-an is a company that grows, packages and sells thier own teas (no middleman) very high quality. Ive been ordering from them for the past several years and am always shocked at how fast the service is. Ive always had my order delivered in a week or less and NO SHIPPING FEE with a minimum order of $35.00 or there abouts.

Last edited:
this morning

09 Tai Ping Hou Kui -

This requires a bit more leaf than say Mao Feng or Liu An Gua Pian. Has flavors of both...quite subtle with a broth like flavor and some floral notes. This is only the second time I have brewed this. I assume I will get better at it. Im liking this one...but wow the caffine level is through the roof!

One of my favorite places to buy Japanese teas is www.hibiki-an.com, great teas, great service and super fast free shipping. Hibiki-an is a company that grows, packages and sells thier own teas (no middleman) very high quality. Ive been ordering from them for the past several years and am always shocked at how fast the service is. Ive always had my order delivered in a week or less and NO SHIPPING FEE with a minimum order of $35.00 or there abouts.

Thanks man

And Thanks P K

Top Bottom