What's new

GOTD- Green of the Day

Today was a good day. Sometimes I noticed improved "touch" when brewing.

Some elegant Gyokuro brewed office-gongfu style today. My best session with this tea to date.

I'm starting to dig this tea thing!

:yinyang:

Today it was some West Lake Dragonwell that I got from a local Asian grocer. It has some camphor to it, along with an astringency. Also there's a slight mouth feel similar to what I get from an oolong. I like this stuff! I intend to include some in the tea pass when I ship it in a couple of days.

I'm drinking it now. With the astringency and camphor, I found this to be remarkably sheng-esque for a dragonwell. That makes for a very odd sensation.

2009 Certified Organic Jasmine Pearl Green from the pass around box.

This was placed there by Steve. It is very very sweet with strong fruity florals. Tasty!

Morning tea was 2009 Fukamashi Sencha from Kagoshima from umami-chaya on ebay.

I know squat about japanese teas. I looked up brewing recommendations and got all sorts of weirdness. It tasted like grass.

Also, *** are the Japanese thinking when they mangle the leaves like this? I mean, shredded leaves?! Srsly. :cursing:

I'm drinking it now. With the astringency and camphor, I found this to be remarkably sheng-esque for a dragonwell. That makes for a very odd sensation.

huh, that's interesting because you can have sheng that tastes like green tea, which is a bad sign of improper processing.

Morning tea was 2009 Fukamashi Sencha from Kagoshima from umami-chaya on ebay.

I know squat about japanese teas. I looked up brewing recommendations and got all sorts of weirdness. It tasted like grass.

Also, *** are the Japanese thinking when they mangle the leaves like this? I mean, shredded leaves?! Srsly. :cursing:

What are your brewing parameters? Fukamushi means heavily steamed which breaks down the leaves into finer particles. You have to go a little easier on the leaf or brew times with it.

What are your brewing parameters? Fukamushi means heavily steamed which breaks down the leaves into finer particles. You have to go a little easier on the leaf or brew times with it.

The first steep was with water about 70C and was about 25s. Far too long and maybe too hot. It tasted of grass and chlorophyll and maybe a bit of tea. Second and third steeps were with water that might have been a bit hotter but still short (~20s) steeps.

This was my first attempt at this tea but I just don't think I care about japanese teas. Between sheng and all the oolongs I have plenty of finicky teas that are really going to make me earn my cup.

This was my first attempt at this tea but I just don't think I care about japanese teas. Between sheng and all the oolongs I have plenty of finicky teas that are really going to make me earn my cup.

Given that it was your first attempt I would say try a few more times....you know how things can change when you get it right. Here are my parameters:

1.7g leaf to 120ml water
I do not have a thermometer but I use water just before crab eye boil.
I do not preheat anything
For the first brew go 1min
Second go 15-20 sec
Third use hotter water.....crab eye boil and back to 1min steep

Try that and you should be in the ball park. The flavors should not be bold. It should all work together and have a mellowness without astringency or bitterness.

I love puerh and oolong but Japanese greens have a special place. I would say that I start my day with them 75% of the time.

Lu An Gua Pian mellon slice from ebay vendor Yum teas-

This can be a finicky brew. When I get it right it is quite tasty with flavors of long jing and baozhong. Interesting stuff. This was a sample....I think I will be getting more of this.

Drinking some jasmine pearls from Steve's shop. Sweet like candy but I'm not in it for depth and subtlety.

From a little grocery store on Mott St. in Chinatown, NYC --

proxy.php

"Dragon Well" green on the right (unspecified Pu-erh on the left).

From a little grocery store on Mott St. in Chinatown, NYC --

proxy.php

"Dragon Well" green on the right (unspecified Pu-erh on the left).

I got my start in teas at my local asian grocery. In general they have some of the worst quality...mostly because the can't move the product so they don't carry quality tea. That puerh will probably be okay...but not a good example. That dragonwell looks just plain bad. Greens are the most fragile of teas. That one looks old and stored in a clear bag....so don't use it as a benchmark for how dragonwell tastes. You should look into some of the good ebay vendors for that. Consider checking netsurfr's store for some good quality puerh.

I got my start in teas at my local asian grocery. In general they have some of the worst quality...mostly because the can't move the product so they don't carry quality tea. That puerh will probably be okay...but not a good example. That dragonwell looks just plain bad. Greens are the most fragile of teas. That one looks old and stored in a clear bag....so don't use it as a benchmark for how dragonwell tastes. You should look into some of the good ebay vendors for that. Consider checking netsurfr's store for some good quality puerh.

Live and learn. All the teas were being stored in clear apothecary jars. We'll see how it goes. (My wife said that the green looked like a bag of pot -- I don't agree with her, but I guess I can see what she means! :biggrin1:)

EDIT: Both the pu-erh and the green dragon-well smelled and tasted of seaweed. This is the last time I buy tea in a store that specializes in dried seafood!! :blushing:

Last edited:
Got this one from Camellia Sinensis up in Canada. Nice every day Sencha. Do not drink green tea too often these days. This one was a good pick me up this afternoon. Has that nice vegetal profile found in good sencha, tasty :biggrin: !

Last edited:
Finished off some Sencha and Baihao Yinzen (a phenomenal white tea!).

Popped open another jar of the Jing Mai. MMMM, maocha.

I've decided to gel-cap the remaining Matcha into homemade "pep pills"! :w00t::lol:

Top Bottom