What's new

GOTD- Green of the Day

Our Ambrose is right on track. Fukamushi (deep steaming) is just a way of making a poor or mediocre quality sencha a little more interesting. High quality sencha is never deep steamed, either asamushi (light) or chumushi (medium) steaming methods are used. Some fuka teas can be alright every now and then but most of them are just green swamp water that tastes more like sludge than tea.

Our Ambrose is right on track. Fukamushi (deep steaming) is just a way of making a poor or mediocre quality sencha a little more interesting. High quality sencha is never deep steamed, either asamushi (light) or chumushi (medium) steaming methods are used. Some fuka teas can be alright every now and then but most of them are just green swamp water that tastes more like sludge than tea.

well said :thumbup1:

Houji-Genmaicha from Den's

Taste like roast and rice crispies. The tea itself is a pretty minor player in this one-act.

Not fancy but tasty enough, I suppose. I don't see myself reupping this one.

I had some of dens extra green yesterday :mad3: Completely disappointing, bad cheap quality of matcha used and same to say of the sencha. A sad attempt in trying to make something of nothing. :thumbdown

been drinking sencha superior, a really great daily sencha :thumbup1:

proxy.php

im making some bancha ice tea.

edit its done! squirt of lemon and some honey perfect green freshness with tangy ness of lemon and sweet enough to drink

Last edited:
Received in today's post an Ippodo parcel. Such a package instigates great joy hereabouts. This afternoon I drank Seiun, a matcha to whom I return through the years. It is wonderful, yummy tea, my favorite comfort tea, an old friend. Later I took a few turns with Kaboku, a sencha of rarefied refinement. Tomorrow: more of the same, and it can't arrive soon enough. :) Best, ~grasshopper

Today I tried some of Den's Sencha Fukamidori will much greater success than any previous attempt. It only mildly tasted like lawn clippings and didn't have many of the more offensive flavors that I hate. It was not foul but not fantastic.

New brewing params:

200mL shiboridashi
3g leaf
160-165 degree water

Ipoodo Kabuko to me taste and smells like rabbit pellet food :huh:

Today I tried some of Den's Sencha Fukamidori will much greater success than any previous attempt. It only mildly tasted like lawn clippings and didn't have many of the more offensive flavors that I hate. It was not foul but not fantastic.

New brewing params:

200mL shiboridashi
3g leaf
160-165 degree water

Ive not been fond of any of Dens offering after trying some quality teas of other vendors. You ever try any of hibiki-an sencha? The after taste reminds me of the light floral after taste of a light oolong. Ill send you a sample should you be interested.

Ipoodo Kabuko to me taste and smells like rabbit pellet food :huh:

Ive not been fond of any of Dens offering after trying some quality teas of other vendors. You ever try any of hibiki-an sencha? The after taste reminds me of the light floral after taste of a light oolong. Ill send you a sample should you be interested.

I haven't tried but a few greens (except jasmine pearls but they don't count). This is the first session that I've had that wasn't a complete turnoff. I'd love to sample some better quality teas but only if you provide some brewing instructions :tongue_sm I can't seem to get the hang of greens.

Ive been participating in a Korean tea tasting that's being sponsored by Matt (Mattchas Blog) and Dao Teas. This is a handmade traditional Korean green tea that is made by tea master Kim Jong Yeol and grown in the Hwagae Valley. It's a high quality but just not doing it for me. Slightly vegetal, slightly sweet, tart with a touch of egg white in the aroma. Not one of the best Korean tea Ive tried, but decent enough, I guess. The Sejak comes from the second picking of the season. The first pick is Ujeon and the third, Jungjak. Korean greens really are unique, you really can't compare them to any other greens, China or Japan. They are deserving of more recognition, but nobodys going to reconize them at the current prices.

View attachment 123145

View attachment 123146

Last edited:
Hibiki-an Sencha Superior courtesy of Ambrose.

I found the first two infusions to be powerfully vegetal and grassy. The second infusion was as short a flash infusion. Third, fourth and fifth infusions were more controlled and subtle... also flash infusions. Last infusion was 120s but the leaves were spent.

Some of Den's Houji-Genmaicha. Roasty tea and Rice Krispies. Mmmm.

Last edited:
GOTD1: 2010 Spring San Xia Bi Luo Chun from Hou De. Hou De's greens are consistently delicious. Greens tend to fall into herbal or citrus in my mouth. I prefer the herbal. I drank it old-man style during interminable meetings at work.
GOTD2: Lacking a WOTD thread, I'll list this one here. It is TeaSpring's Jun Shan Shin Bi, Mount Jun Golden Coin Tea. In the product description, Daniel Ong writes that it is "out of this world," and he's correct. Remarkable.
GOTD3: Ippodo's Seiun matcha. The comfort tea. Whisked with a Bodum milk frother while dead Japanese tea masters spun like tops in their graves. :)

Tea Goober and Ambrose--Your teapots are beautiful.

thank you grasshopper :blushing: Yea goobers wares are da bomb !

I do love nice teaware, speaking of might as well show you my Shigaraki kyusu :001_rolle

Enjoying some good ol sencha superior, this time I filtered it with a fine mesh filter. Wow made a nice difference, keeping the little bits out helps keep the bitter out too. Im guessing the little bits continue to brew and make the tea taste a little bitter.

Not traditional but yummy :biggrin1:

Pics before and after filter

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom