What's new

Citizen vs. Skagen

Does anybody have either or both of these two brands of watches? If so, what is your impression of them? If you have both which one do you think is better quality, which one do you like better?

I am trying to decide between these two for a watch my wife will buy me for my birthday. Thanks,

Nathan

May I recommend Seiko? They seem to be a little more classy looking.

Out of those two, I have had only experience with Citizen. My grandmother and mother wear them and have never had problems.

I own a Citizen Eco Drive watch which I use for diving and everyday wear. Powered by light, so there's no screwing around with winding, etc. Seems to be built well, has held up nicely for me for a few years now. Of course, it was the best watch I could afford at the time, and has many good reviews from a number of respected sources.

I'm just throwing in what little I know, I'm sure there are many qualified watch experts in here that will chime in. Good luck!

Hi Nathan, I have a Skagen, its a pretty, classy, and simple watch.

If you are watching for the elegance, light weight and simplicity of the lines, I think that you will love it. Skagen use Japan and swiss made machinery (mine is Japanese), so, you can choose.

My dad had a Citizen for over 20 years, and was an excellent, and functional watch, but in the design area, I prefer the Skagen.

I have two Skagen watches, and I love them both. Very thin and light, and classy looking. I get compliments all the time. Can't report about Citizen, though. But I would recommend Skagen to a friend. Got both of mine on Amazon for a good price.

I think either brand would make a great gift, but they are pretty dissimilar in styling. It would depend on your taste in watches.

May I recommend Seiko? They seem to be a little more classy looking.

Out of those two, I have had only experience with Citizen. My grandmother and mother wear them and have never had problems.

+1 on Seiko

Lots of nice automatics and something in every price range.

I've been very pleased with my SS Ecozilla, but it is a Big, Heavy watch :cool:
proxy.php

My little sister manages a jewelry store and got me a Citizen Eco Drive for Christmas last year. I have loved it so far, but don't wear it every day. I tend to get a little rough on an every day basis (I often get roped into mechanic-type work). The Citizen has been a great watch so far.

I have owned both and they are distinctly diffrent in terms of style and durability. I had a problem with my Skagen because it seemed that contact with my skin caused considerable corrosion and I had to stop wearing it altogether after just a few weeks. This is not something that is unfamiliar to many watch wearers but my first Citizen Eco-Drive was titanium and I never had a hint of corrosion even as I wore it every day. When I gave it to my son, I replaced it with another Citizen in Stainless Steel and I have not seen a single spot on it in five years.
Skagen also makes titanium watches, so I am pretty sure that I could wear one with confidence now, but the Eco-Drive advantage has hooked me and I like them for every day use with no worry about ever having to replace a battery or wind it or set it as I do my automatic watches, which are actually only worn for dress or formal outings anyway.
Long way to go to give my vote to the Citizen.

I own 2 Skagens and like them but I must second the recommendation of Seiko. I own a number of Seiko's and they make a really nice, very durable watch. And if you ever get tired of it (so long as it is a diver) you can send it to me and I will mod it. I have an SKX175 that I modded. I changed the bezel insert, the hands and blacked out the chapter ring, and also bead blasted the case.

Check out watchuseek.com for a good watch forum where you can gather info. It is however not my fault should you become addicted.

Thanks everyone for the good feedback. I appreciate it. I ended up going with a Skagen, I have read good reviews of them and even though there are better watches out there I think I will be satisfied with the one I got. Thanks!

​Skagen is not worth buying. 2 out 4 watches stopped in 1 year... the last one we bought from Deals4Life (approved retailer by Skagen) had damaged cover lid (they are opening all watches that has stopped working and did not put original battery). what is even worse, not Skagen of Deals4Life wanted to recover the damage. so we have bought new skagen watch for full price and got damaged ones.
no more skagen buying! pieces of crap

Have owned both. Skagens are very well designed and comfortable, but quite fragile. Citizens not nearly as "sexy" for the most part but much more durable in my experience.

I have a really light weight Titanium Skaagen. Simple, understated, and classy. My one complaint is that it seems to burn through batteries faster than I would like. Seems like I have to replace it once every year or so.

I have a Skagen Holst and it's a real looker but lighter and slimmer than I prefer now. I also had a citizen eco drive but it got banged around a bit and stopped working.

I wear my father's Citizen Nighthawk aviator's watch, and it is a fine watch for all occasions. The eco-drive feature is also highly recommended, as I never have to worry about winding or batteries.

I would go with Seiko over Citizen, and Citizen over Skagen. Seiko vs. Citizen is a personal choice based on personal preference and the rock solid durability of my Seiko Black Monster. Skagen is just nowhere near my style.

I have had two Skagen watches over the years, but never had a Citizen. The Skagens are nice looking IMO, but not that sturdy. I actually prefer Swiss Army to either brand. YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom