What's new

Freebie blades NOS

Okay guys,

I received some free NOS blades with a couple of razor purchases this summer. I have a red box (10 pack) of Gillette thins. They are a sort of gold-toned with stainless finish on the blades edge. The others are an unopened 5-pack of Wilkinson chromium edge blades from England (price stamped is $1.89 for the pack)

I'm more of a pragmatist than a collector so here's my questions. Are these good blades to use? Is it some sort of a travesty to open them up ? I don't want to sound silly with these questions since I'm sure these blades are not "valuable" in any real sense. Thanks in advance for any opinions and/or recommendations. :rolleyes:

Randall

Hey, Randall. To answer your questions ... it depends. The Thins would be more collectible than the Wilkinsons, but it depends upon the era. Thins were made for many years and older ones are more collectible, but less shaveable. The other way around for the newer ones. Intact vintage blade packs are sought out to complete display sets.

You can try to ID them here ...

Mr. Razor's Gillette Blades Page

Hey, Randall. To answer your questions ... it depends. The Thins would be more collectible than the Wilkinsons, but it depends upon the era. Thins were made for many years and older ones are more collectible, but less shaveable. The other way around for the newer ones. Intact vintage blade packs are sought out to complete display sets.

You can try to ID them here ...

Mr. Razor's Gillette Blades Page

Hey Guido,

Incredible !!! So many blades on that link. Also, I saw your Louisiana "shout out" to me on another post. My Mother-in-Law had to move to Shreveport after Katrina, so I get up to your neck of the woods from time to time. BTW, Your razor collection is something to look at and admire. Seriously "RAD" :biggrin:

Cheers,
Randall

Randall, Those Wilks would definitely be worth a shave. Can you describe the packaging? I have a number of different NOS Wilks and they all yield great shaves.

The package had an artists rendering of the battle of Waterloo, mainly an officer on a horse with a big furry hat and raising a sword up high. Has a few soldiers surrounding on foot. It's a battle scene. It has written in bold white letters "The Blade". Blades are in a white plastic case, with label in black with white writing. I decided to shave with them.:wink:

Randall, Good for you. You will have to let us know what you think of those wonderful blades.

Bob

Top Bottom