What's new

Advice..lots of advice on Wet Shave

So here I am, one of those poor saps who has been using the multi blade systems doing every little trick to not have a neck full of red, irritated, women repellant on my neck.

So want to have a good experience of shaving and thinking of starting to use DE razor with brush, etc.

After reading some articles i was thinking of purchasing and was hoping to get some advice on what to start with.

1. Mekur HD classic OR Mekur Long handled (barber pole) think the longer handle might be nice

2. A good all badger brush

3. Stand
4. Maybe a bowel if needed

Just have no idea what blades to buy. I have relatively coarse hair and prone to razor irritation. Would welcome all suggestions and encouragement.

You should get the sample pack at westcoastshaving.com. They have all the major brands and you can find what works for you.

Welcome aboard.

An HD is a fine razor but I would recommend checking the BST forum for a Gillette Tech. It is a great 3-piece razor that is not only a great starter razor but a great everyday kind of razor. They also tend to be a bit cheaper than a new HD as well.

As far as blades, pick up a sampler pack to decide what works best for your face and your level of technique.

Take your time. Exercise patience, use a light touch and the correct angle...all will be well.

Finally, utilize the info to be found on B&B...there is a bunch.

BTW- nothing wrong with a good boar brush to start.

If you have irritation now a DE will certainly help, but why not go into straight shaving. It is the ultimate adjustable razor and a good 1/4 or 3/4 hollow will smoothly cut your coarse beard.

It is not nearly as scary as it looks and you will be amazed at the results.

Welcome to B&B. This is the place to learn all that there is to learn about wetshaving. Beware the dreaded Aquisition Disorder (AD) that will soon infect you. It attacks the wallet without remorse and the best part is, you will love it!
Seriously though, you will find all sorts of info about every aspect of shaving in the sticky posts.
Just be patient with yourself and chart your progress as well as your setbacks.
We all win with your every success.

Welcome to B&B. I started with the Merkur HD 34C. I also have a Gillette Fatboy adjustable. The Merkur is still my favorite. Can't go wrong strating with that. Get a blade sample pack from WestCoast Shaving and you'll be all set. When trying new things, remember to change only one thing at a time. Also don't forget to watch the Mantic videos on youtube.
Enjoy the journey!

Thanks for the advice... and I will be looking for a bowl and not a bowel..dont need any advice in that dept.

Do you rec the Classic Mekur HD or the Longer Handle of the "Barber"

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

The regular or barber size handle is a preference. I don't like the barber pole but that's just me. If you think a longer handle would work better for you, try it!

Welcome to B&B! HD handle is indeed personal preference. No difference at all in the head geometry -- just a slight weight difference, aside from the obvious difference in length.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you have a longer handle you can always hold it shorter, ehhhrmm... right?

You can hold it where you would hold a shorter handle correct. However, the feeling isn't quite the same...

If you have a longer handle you can always hold it shorter, ehhhrmm... right?

There is actually a slight difference in choking up on a razor and using a short handled razor, in my experience anyway.

When I first started out I preferred a long handle because it felt a bit more familiar.

Welcome aboard.

An HD is a fine razor but I would recommend checking the BST forum for a Gillette Tech. It is a great 3-piece razor that is not only a great starter razor but a great everyday kind of razor. They also tend to be a bit cheaper than a new HD as well.

+1 The Gillette Tech is milder than the HD, which is great as a new wet shaver, as it will be more forgiving of less than perfect technique.

I love my Gillette Tech.

In addition, they were built like a tank, so even battle worn Techs still shave perfectly. :tongue_sm

1. Mekur HD classic OR Mekur Long handled (barber pole) think the longer handle might be nice

2. A good all badger brush

I've only been DE shaving for a short time but I'll chime in with what I've figured out so far.
I use a 38C barber pole and I like the familiarity of the longer handle having come from cartridge shaving. For downward strokes I hold the razor between my thumb and forefinger just barely below the balance point with my pinky lightly touching near the end of the handle. If I feel the razor pivot away from my pinky then I know I'm either using too much pressure or I need to rewet my lather. I may try a short handled razor in the future but I want to become proficient with my 38C first.
Boar's hair works great, is softer than you'd think, and a good value... especially for folks just getting started.

Welcome to B&B!

Top Bottom