What's new

"The Fern": I Finally Did It.

Some of you may remember my various posts about getting a sample of Penhaligon's English Fern about a year ago, hating it, giving it away, then pining for it, then looking for another sample.

Well, I finally got a decant. I've worn it a few times around my wife (who calls it "The Fern") and she isn't as repulsed as she initially was. Today, she told me that I "smelled pretty good...sort of 'old man', but pretty good".

But what I really meant by the "finally" in the threat title is that I just ordered a bottle.

The moral of this story, folks, is that even if your initial reaction to a fragrance is pretty negative, give it some time and actually work with the fragrance. This was my initial problem - I wore it once, in one environment, and said "no way". I should have given "The Fern" its chance.

I just asked my friend at work for her impression of English Fern. She smelled my wrist, her eyes got big, and she said, "you smell just like my grandad after he'd been chewing tobacco and eating peppermints! If that's the scent you're lookin' for, you've got it right there."

She was even more surprised when I got excited. What a warm, comforting smell she described! I don't know if I completely buy it for EF, but I kinda get it a little bit, now that she's mentioned it...

It is a great scent, I agree, though it's a bit heavy for me to actually wear. Like most Pen's scents I admire it but can't bring myself to wear it.

Love it, love it, love it. From the minute I dabbed it on I knew I was buying s bottle. Loved it even more once it settled in on me.

I have it on today as a matter of fact and I met the wife at lunch and she was sitting next to me and said, "Mmm, you smell good, what do you have on" I replied, "Pen..." she interrupted, "The Fern". :)

I just recently sent my sample to another BB member to try and he liked it as well.

Top Bottom