What's new

Best sheng under $15

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I recall asking Al Hotchkin, proprietor of The Burgundy Wine Company, what was the most common question he'd be asked. Without hesitation, he responded with "What's the best bottle under $20?". Instead of drawing on his years of experience and vast knowledge of wine, folks just wanted to know the bottom line. We're a shallow lot, and we like our answers quick and easy. And since I'm shallower than Shallow Hal, I can't resist either. Picking a price point is the hard part, as almost any number will do. I think $15 is a tough but doable number.

So how do you spend your fifteen hard-earned or ill-gotten semolians on a sheng? (It should be a readily available, standard size cake of 357g and up.)

I think i'll take a Menghai 7532.
Who will step to the plate and beat that?

I was about to nominate Mu Ye Chun * Mengku Green Cake Pu'er 2007 but just checked and the big green guy from Kunming weighs in at $18.50....wrong weight class. Will keep looking...

I think I would have to go with the 7532 also as the first choice. However, the 2008 Xiaguan FT "Mushroom Tuo" Raw Pu-erh tea come in as a close second.

ouch

I think I would have to go with the 7532 also as the first choice. However, the 2008 Xiaguan FT "Mushroom Tuo" Raw Pu-erh tea come in as a close second.

If it didn't fail the "357+g bing test", it would be my #1 choice. :thumbup1:

Whoops, missed the 357g parameter in the equation. Have to stick with 7532 as the only choice for first and second place.

By my quick count, Jas ETeas has a dozen cakes that would qualify under these specifications. Maybe a tasting event is in order?

Also, I would love to see opinions on an expanded list (ie. best cakes under $15, $25, $50, and $100).

:yinyang:

From my limited experience, the Golden Sail S 306 is surprisingly good. At $2.95 for a 100 gm toucha from a Chinese gorcer on Canal Street in Chinatown, you can't really go worng.

From my limited experience, the Golden Sail S 306 is surprisingly good. At $2.95 for a 100 gm toucha from a Chinese gorcer on Canal Street in Chinatown, you can't really go worng.

I'm gonna have to try this stuff next time I'm in the city. Better be worth the cost of a Metrocard

ouch

Well, I can pretty much tell you the best sheng under $10- the 2009 Menghai 8582. Anyone care to top that?

Top Bottom