What's new

Easy and cheap way to carry my straights

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was thinking the other day that I should get something to put my straights away. The reason was simple, I usually leave my straights next to the sink in the bathroom. Naturally, water goes everywhere so one of them started to rust :mad:

Lucky me, I was able to catch it early and I only have a black decoloration on the blade (nothing too serious as the razor itself already has those kind of stains).

It made me think, how can I put those away efficiently? I thought about the cigar box. Sure, those are nice but it remain a box. When I put something away, I like the idea of having the box turned upside down(Storm, hurricane, earthquake, SWMBO) and nothing will move. I tried to look for something that exists. First, there's something called a 'razor wallet', nice, simple, good for 1 razor. I already have a few :)001_rolle) so I need something that can contain everything. Second, I could get one of those wooden boxes but I will get the same problem than a cigar box. Then, I saw one of those leather case that can hold 7 razors. Nice, pricey but nice... However, I still think, it might be too small and I might end-up with 2, 3, 4, etc. cases.

From there, I know, I could make it or have it made. I don't have the equipment to do it at the moment. Otherwise, I would. Someone else could make it but how much will it cost? It might be cheap but I'm confident that I can find something cheaper.

I was browsing ebay and found some kind of mechanic case made of canvas. Great! One problem, those roll bags are made for a set of 20 keys(usually). All the keys will vary in size so the compartment will be extra large or very small. I would end-up using half of it, maybe less.

Then, I thought, what about those roll bags for paintbrushes? I went to a few (6) stores in Melbourne and found something. I don't think it's perfect but it will allow me to keep my straights safe that way.

The pouch is closed on picture one, it can lay flat on the table (pic 2) or make some kind of stand (pic 3). All the compartments are the same size and I can hold 12 on each size (total 24 razors). I'm missing a few before I can say it's full! I thought I should share as other might want to do something similar.

Luc

Staff member
Forgot to add, I think I paid it ~$12 AUD...

Super idea, you could also use a chisel roll which is the same idea.
Thanks for putting this awesome idea out there for us.

nice one, very cool. you could even use a smaller pouch for travel, or at that price, cut one down to a travel size.

Luc

Staff member
There's a pocket at the back. The barber hone that I received yesterday fits perfectly in it!

Very cool idea. I am going to get my father's pipe stand out and see what that looks like with some razors in it. Since I quit smoking I am not likely to use it for pipes again. :wink:

Aside from that being a really cool idea, you have openings for 8 or 9 more razors!

Nature abhors a vacuum, you know...

Luc

Staff member
Aside from that being a really cool idea, you have openings for 8 or 9 more razors!

Nature abhors a vacuum, you know...

Better!

I currently have 12. So I can fit 12 more :biggrin:

What a fantastic idea. Man, I hope I can find one of those around here. "Here" meaning the northern half of North America.

Top Bottom