What's new

Difference Between Aftershave and Cologne

What is the difference between an "aftershave" and a "cologne"? Aren't they just both two words that could be used interchangeably for the same fragrance? Thanks, Bob

The difference is, in the simplest way, more fragrance oil. Aftershaves may contain other ingredients to tone & moisturize your skin such as witch hazel, glycerin, etc. But in general, colognes contain anywhere from 15%-20% fragrance; aftershaves, anywhere from 10%-15%.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The amount of perfume oils determines what is what!

Here is a listing I found once on Basenotes:
The comments in () are mine.
* After shave: < 2% of perfume oils, (i.e. the least strongest scent)
* Eau de Cologne: 2-5% of perfume oils, (second weakest, a lot of men's scents are EdC's)
* Eau de Toilet: 5-10% of perfume oils ( a lot of the better scents are EdT's)
* Eau de Parfume: 10-20% of perfume oils (not too often found in men's scents)
* Parfume: 20-40% of perfume oils ( a lot of the women's scents are parfumes, and only used in an application of a drop or so, very expensive and small containers, too)

I have a similar question, do people usually use either or, or both? I mean, if you want a skin toning product but at the same time would like it to have a nice fragrance and last longer, what would you use then?

G

gone down south

Aftershave is a liquid or balm applied to the skin after the shave to tone, disinfect and/or moisturize the skin. It may or may not be scented.

Eau de Cologne/Eau de Toilette/Eau de Parfum are (in order) increasingly concentrated scents applied to the skin to smell good.

What is the difference between an "aftershave" and a "cologne"? Aren't they just both two words that could be used interchangeably for the same fragrance?
No, they are not. Cologne is diluted fragrance, aftershave is a liquid with certain properties which aid in skin restoration after a shave which usually happens to smell nice. You can use an aftershave as if it were a cologne (but don't sprinkle it on clothes for the other compounds might leave marks), but not the other way around save in emergencies.

Given the different distinctions noted above, I think many people use "aftershave" often as a generic reference to any fragrance a man wears, leading to some confusion.

It's certainly quicker, easier and more "manly" to say than Eau de Toilette which is in reality what many of us really use as a frag.

Some people may also be uncomfortable using the term "cologne" and "perfume" when talking to a man. I know of lot of men who would certainly be put off by both of those terms, especially asking another man about it.

Additionally, many designer frags come in both strengths; AS and EdT (plus EdP sometimes).

Last edited:
I have a similar question, do people usually use either or, or both? I mean, if you want a skin toning product but at the same time would like it to have a nice fragrance and last longer, what would you use then?

It's up to you. I find AS strength usually disappears pretty quickly. It's a lower concentration of scent primarily meant for your face.

EdT is NOT meant for splashing on your face after a shave and has a higher concentration of scent to last longer. Generally applied neck, chest, wrists.

You can use both AS and EdT of same frag, just watch out that you don't overdo it.

I've not been a big fan of scented AS, but after surfing around in here, now I sometimes used Pinaud Clubman and just ordered Tabac.

Last edited:
Top Bottom