What's new

Mmmmm. Escher.

After some concerted searching and a bit of luck I have what I was looking for. 9 5/8" x 2" x 1" of hideously expensive (near) unobtanium.

Joy.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My local knife emporium (Korin) has some natural stones for 2-3 thousand dollars. I'm sure they are treasured collectables, but I can't imagine that they actually perform any better than other high end stones. Guess I'll have to stick with Shaptons, et al.

What's the approximate grit on that baby?

Oh, and nice find!

He would have had to pay a lot more if I knew of that auction..... IF he won it :cursing:
Heh. I was prepared to pay more as well. My preset snipe was closer to double the sale price......... :shifty:

Like I said, I wasn't going to miss it. :001_tt2:

I'll keep an eye out for another for you. You can always contact the vendor and see if they have more.

What's the approximate grit on that baby?
Hard to say. It would be reasonably fair to give it around a 10-12,000 grit equivalence. However, the actual geological makeup of the stone with its high rhombic garnet content produces an edge very different to, say, a 16K Shapton.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Good point. It's amazing how some seemingly similar stones will yield such different results. I find the Kitayama stone, for example, to leave a somewhat hazy polish compared to a Shapton or Naniwa.
I still manage to find uses for all of them.

Definitely more than I'd be willing (read: able :tongue: ) to pay, but I have 2 of them, and couldn't do without them anymore. I know a guy with over 20, though. I'm reeeeallly jealous of him. :biggrin:

Definitely more than I'd be willing (read: able :tongue: ) to pay, but I have 2 of them, and couldn't do without them anymore. I know a guy with over 20, though. I'm reeeeallly jealous of him. :biggrin:

Do you find a difference between a belgian and an Escher? If so, what? I've got a 90 year old Belgian Corticle that I think would give an Escher a run for its money :biggrin:

Do you find a difference between a belgian and an Escher? If so, what? I've got a 90 year old Belgian Corticle that I think would give an Escher a run for its money :biggrin:

I use the Escher after a coticule in my honing cycle. I like the coticule a bunch, too. The Escher is a bit finer, IMO, but if I only had a coticule, I'd be happy. :tongue: I really need to pick up a spare coticule. I'm a big fan of redundancy. If I have one of something that works really well, I want 2, just in case I break one. lol

I understand that.....I'm about ready to buy a couple extra Lithides and a replacment cushion strop (chipped mine...) from Tilly.

If I have one of something that works really well, I want 2, just in case I break one. lol

I am a subscriber to that philosophy as well. However, I think my wallet will scream blue murder if I find another of these vintage Escher stones to satisfy the desire for redundancy. :frown:

Jeez I just picked up a small belgian yellow coticle and that was expensive enough, worth it though as it has significantly improved the shave quality of a couple of my favourite razors.

Looks like you had a good find. :smile:

Top Bottom