Your call on these colognes

Piper Nigrum, Czech and Speak Cuba or Aramis Havana

• Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum

• Czech and Speak Cuba

• Aramis Havana, the reissue

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

Sam

Which one do you suggest for fall/winter/spring wear, for both office wear and casual. Longevity and projection are plusses.

I cannot vote because I have only had the chance to wear from a sample Czech and Speak Cuba. At first I did not like it, because the top can be discordant. But it grew on me after a few minutes. Cuba is fine for longevity and I would not hesitate to wear it during any season.

The top is a mix of lime, rum and mint. Next is clove, bay and some rose. The base is tobacco and vetiver. Cuba ultimately is a mojito accompanied by bay rum and tobacco. It works well.

The only problem is that it costs more than I am willing to spend on a fragrance. Next up is Havana when the frenzy dies down, production kicks in to full gear and it becomes easy to find at the department stores.

I don't care for Piper Nigrum AT ALL, and Cuba is a too boozy and smokey for me.

Havana is still not something I'd wear very frequently because it's a bit too "sharp" for me, but I like it the best out of these.

S

Sam

So far, 6 for Cuba, 6 for Aramis, 0 for Piper. I would have thought that yes, Cuba would be ahead of Piper, since the Havana reissue is hard to get and most, like me, have never smelled it.

So far, 6 for Cuba, 6 for Aramis, 0 for Piper. I would have thought that yes, Cuba would be ahead of Piper, since the Havana reissue is hard to get and most, like me, have never smelled it.

I do not think that I have run into the Piper. After what you have said about it, public and PM, I would really like to try it.

<Longevity and projection are plusses. >

There is where Havana has an edge over Cuba, me thinks. Although Cuba for a C&S especially has okay longevity.

Folks that have never smelled Havana may be picking it based on reputation. In this case, that is not an illogical thing to do!

<Which one do you suggest for fall/winter/spring wear, for both office wear and casual.>

Are you sure you do not want something more like Grafton, Douro, Opus, Bois Du Portugal, GIT, etc.?

S

Sam

I have not found a T&H, TOBS or Penhaligons scent that I like. I tend to like spicy, and I do have MI and GIT by Creed. Lavendar is not a plus for me, and while I do like Bois du Portugal, my wife says it is not good on my skin. Original Santal might work, but it tends to get to the barbershop-like quality and if I were to go for sandalwood, Trumper's is a bit better for me.

I am worried that Havana might be that typical powerhouse 80's fragrance, and too sweet/vanilla from some descriptions I have read. Maybe my fear is unjusitified. I am willing to consider others, but I think orientals are what I have liked for winter/fall (Obsession by Calvin Klein, Fumerie Turque and Chergui by Lutens, Piper Nigrum are examples of what I have worn in the past few winters). Les Neredies Imperial Oppoponax has too much vanilla in the base. Yerbamate is too powdery. Nicolai's Maharajdah is okay, but the lavender they say is in there makes it a powdery spice on me.

I have not found a T&H, TOBS or Penhaligons scent that I like. I tend to like spicy, and I do have MI and GIT by Creed. Lavendar is not a plus for me, and while I do like Bois du Portugal, my wife says it is not good on my skin. Original Santal might work, but it tends to get to the barbershop-like quality and if I were to go for sandalwood, Trumper's is a bit better for me.

I am worried that Havana might be that typical powerhouse 80's fragrance, and too sweet/vanilla from some descriptions I have read. Maybe my fear is unjusitified. I am willing to consider others, but I think orientals are what I have liked for winter/fall (Obsession by Calvin Klein, Fumerie Turque and Chergui by Lutens, Piper Nigrum are examples of what I have worn in the past few winters). Les Neredies Imperial Oppoponax has too much vanilla in the base. Yerbamate is too powdery. Nicolai's Maharajdah is okay, but the lavender they say is in there makes it a powdery spice on me.

A challenge! I once again wish that Chuck from Badger Decants was still around. He was good at this. Nothing springs to mind, but I am not good at this anyway. Someone around here probably has some good ideas. I do not personally direct know most of the scents in your second paragraph, but sounds like you have been exploring fertile areas. I assume that you have looked at Basenotes. Usually too much for me to absorb over there.

<I am worried that Havana might be that typical powerhouse 80's fragrance>

Your fear is not unjustified at all! Not at all.

I will write more if I think of something and will check back in.

I

isthumax

Which one do you suggest for fall/winter/spring wear, for both office wear and casual. Longevity and projection are plusses.

I'm very interested! I would love to find out more.

Top Bottom