What's new

Shotgun question

I am looking to purchase a shotgun for home defense. Where I grew up there were a number of free outdoor shooting ranges and cheap gun clubs.

Where I live now I can either pay $400/year (+ $600 intial fee) to join a gun club. This is too expensive for me. I believe gun clubs where I grew up my father pays less than $100 per year.

So my question is do indoor shooting ranges generally allow shotguns? I guess I can call and ask but you know how gun range employees are (I always feel that they try and belittle me for not knowing as much about guns as they do).

I wouldn't be able to purchase a shotgun and never use it. I want to practice with it just in case I ever have to use it and if I buy something it would bother me never to use it (especially after dishing out the money).

You're gonna have to call and ask. Some do, others don't. Try to find some land that you can shoot on, BLM land is usually a great choice, just make sure you can shoot on it. Get some cardboard, attach some targets, and fire away with the type of shells you want. Police the hulls and you're good to go.

Wow I'm surprised. I actually didn't think an indoor range would allow them! but what do I know. I agree, try to find a smal parcel of land if possible where you would be permitted to practice

Wow I'm surprised. I actually didn't think an indoor range would allow them!

I have been to one, although I didn't have the shotguns with me. They had strict rules on type of shot also but I don't remember. They also had a single separate shotgun lane.

Go to this page- http://home.nra.org/#/home

On the right hand side middle column of the page there is a drop down menu click "find NRA near you" the search box opens , I put a 50 mile radius around your area and came up with 82 places to shoot.

Taking a self defense shooting class is also an option.

Good luck

Last edited:
Look for skeet clubs as well, most of the time the only difference between the home defense gun and a skeet/bird gun the barrel length when you get into deer guns the barrel is rifled. As far as home defense loads go i would say 00 buck would be the most effective or BB loads.

I got sent to here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php?c=4 GREAT PLACE!!!!!

I'd recommend when buying have a look at ex-police shotguns, not fancy, but cheap and very workable (most have only ever had 100 rounds through them at the most!).

Range wise, call the local NRA office, they should be able to advise, and don't let gun shop guys belittle you, they don't all know that much (at least the ones round here don't, I end up telling them what I want rather than soliciting suggestions!).

ATB<
Tom

Look for skeet clubs as well, most of the time the only difference between the home defense gun and a skeet/bird gun the barrel length when you get into deer guns the barrel is rifled. As far as home defense loads go i would say 00 buck would be the most effective or BB loads.

Rifled barrels are no use for buckshot/bird shot though..... just a note in case you wish to take up skeet shooting...... rifled is AFAIK only good for slugs...? Otherwise rifling causes ordinary skeet shot to "polo mint".....

Tom

Another vote for finding someone near you with enough land to shoot outdoors.

Oh, and i'd recommend a Remington 870. It's a reliable workhorse that everyone who knows guns is familiar with. You don't even need shells for home defense. Mythbusters says there is no brown note, but the sound of an 870 being racked in a dark house you're breaking into would do it for most burglars. Crap pants and flee the scene.

Go to this page- http://home.nra.org/#/home

On the right hand side middle column of the page there is a drop down menu click "find NRA near you" the search box opens , I put a 50 mile radius around your area and came up with 82 places to shoot.

Taking a self defense shooting class is also an option.

Good luck

I will check out the NRA. I never thought about them.

Oh, and i'd recommend a Remington 870. It's a reliable workhorse that everyone who knows guns is familiar with. You don't even need shells for home defense. Mythbusters says there is no brown note, but the sound of an 870 being racked in a dark house you're breaking into would do it for most burglars. Crap pants and flee the scene.

Yeah just the sound should be enough. Plus my guard dogs :)

I was thinking about the Rem 870. If not a Mossberg 500.

I'd check any rod and gun clubs listed in your area. You can also check with your local police dept. As a last resort some private property, with permission of course, in a rural area. :biggrin: :wink: :tongue:

+1. The 870 is a hell of a gun. My second choice would be a Mossberg 500.

You don't say where you are from. I'm sure that other states are like Ohio, where many of the State Parks and Wildlife areas have outdoor shooting ranges open to the public for little or no cost.

Oh, and i'd recommend a Remington 870.

+1. The 870 is a hell of a gun.

+1 Remington 870

+2 for the 870!

+3 for the 870

I don't know why all the hubbub for the 870. I mean really. Lets examine it...

Inexpensive, reliable, easy to maintain and modify, smooth action, tested workhorse. Why would you want an 870.

Top Bottom