What's new

Returning after my first new purchase in a while

Hello again B&B. Hope everyone here is doing well. As for myself, I've been sans internet, and unable to purchase any shaving goodies for a while. I was even using an electric trimmer for my daily shave at one point (never again!). Turns out that while I love shaving with a straight, its just not a viable day to day experience for me. So its been the trimmer or BIC Sensitives most of the time.
I've taken to using olive oil in shaving, as I find the results to be amazing. Every shave is very smooth with little or no irritation. Only problem is it tends to gum up the blades of the disposables.

I went to a local flea market today. I found these there

proxy.php

I think the DE is a Gillette Super Speed circa 1948-50. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It has no date codes and a notched bar.
The head was covered with some soap scale, which cleaned off nicely with some vinegar and an old toothbrush.
This is my first DE and I must say, it is beautiful. Feels perfect in my hand, I can't wait to use it. Any suggestions on good blades for this razor?

The straight is marked "Swift Cutter" on one side, and August Muller Solingen - Germany on the other. It has a few water marks on the blade, as well as some minor surface rust right where the handle meets the tang. Overall, it seems in fairly good condition. The blade is smooth and straight. Running a fingernail down it shows no chips. Just needs a good honing and stropping.

I picked up both of them for $7. I dare say it was a fairly good deal.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up some blades at a CVS. One review here says the CVS brand blades are repacked Persona blades. Can someone confirm? If not, I'm gonna just wing it on a five pack. Anything but Gillette blades lol. I'll post my opinions on my first DE shave afterwords.
Its good to be back
-Zac

CVS Personna blades are very expensive. I do ok with Personnas that are sold at Walmart. They go for $1.76 for 10 blades. No kidding.

- Chris

Such good finds!
I wish we had these flea markets in Oz, we have the occasional garage sale but its mostly kids toys and books and tricycles. Great if your 5 or 6. Not so great if your trying to score a cheap razor! The local antique stores know they're collectable too and anything that isnt rusty in the box doesnt get put up for lest than $25-30 bucks! Great finds! God bless america!

Ended up getting walmart persona blades

my first DE shave... well, lets just say I'll be looking for my shaving soap tomorrow. And touching up on my technique. a lot.

Will try again once my face heals :frown:

Top Bottom