What's new

New member introduction

Hi guys,
I am a new forum user and have been following some of the reviews in order to acquire my first pieces of hardware. So far, I have a Merkur Progress, a Fat Boy and a Super Slim. As blades go, I have been experimenting with a very large sample pack (11 brands), with Derbys the tentative hands-down winners at this point. When it comes to brushes, I have been using an AOS pure badger from their starter pack and a travel Edwin Jagger from C&E (the best of the two.) On the way, I have a Simpsons Polo 8 in best badger (from a forum member) and a Semogue 730 bought from Vintage Scent. And here is where my question arises, I bought the Semogue a week ago and shortly after buying it I saw around a 30% increase in their prices for badger brushes. So my question is: Is this a normal market fluctuation or are these good brushes that have been relatively under the radar and is their newfound popularity catapulting their prices permanently?

PS: I came to wet shaving three weeks ago after suffering from ingrowns and rashes with a new electric shaver (a Norelco rotary) after my old one died (a foil-based Braun.) Because of the prep or the new razors, I am now able to shave WTG, XTG and ATG without any ingrowns. The difference was remarkable.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B. I can't answer your question about brush prices, but maybe the proprietor of Vintage Scent would care to weigh in on the issue? Leon is a member here.

Yes you are correct in what you thought HeF. I signed up to receive newsletters from Vintage Scent, and got this a few days back ago:

Hello dear customer,

I have a new stock of Semogue brushes. Some models were out of stock during
August, so I ordered some more to be able to fulfill your demands.

The Semogue brand is quickly spreading around the world. To make competition
easier among resellers and to make Semogue brushes available in several
places of the world, the Semogue company agreed to have their price reviewed
and set a new suggested retail price.
I also have a new boar brush for you - the Semogue 620. This little brush
has the same bristles as the 1520, but has the classic look acrylic handle
from the top of the line Semogue 730 badger brush.

Thank you for your business.

Kind of sad that they had to go up in price some, but they still make some nice brushes, and they really should have more market penetration, so if that helps them, I'll deal with it. :001_smile

Welcome to B&B. I can't answer your question about brush prices, but maybe the proprietor of Vintage Scent would care to weigh in on the issue? Leon is a member here.

Hi folks,

kooshman7 was kind to transmit the content of my newsletter.
I certainly can explain further the reasons that lead me to this decision.
Raising prices is always an unpopular task, I know, I've thought about it a long time.
The current price raise was decided by me along several worldwide vendors and was approved by the factory.
The previous prices were so low, practically at factory price, that no other vendor from other countries would ever sell the brushes at the same price I did. I've been contacted by several vendors from across the globe asking me to start selling these great brushes too, but after setting the shipping costs, and additional taxes, they would be very far from my prices. So,we decided to level the prices, otherwise I would have the monopoly of Semogue and that's not fair to other vendors, don't you agree?

So,we decided to level the prices, otherwise I would have the monopoly of Semogue and that's not fair to other vendors, don't you agree?

Price fixing/collusion? You might get in trouble with the law for that.. Either national or EU. Also: A businessman who does not want monopoly?! :eek: Now I've seen everything..

And no, fairness with the other vendors has nothing to do with it, and you shouldn't feel a moral obligation to them. Your moral obligation is to your customers. Now we as consumers lose. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Price fixing/collusion? You might get in trouble with the law for that.. Either national or EU. Also: A businessman who does not want monopoly?! :eek: Now I've seen everything..

We are not fixing prices, I know that's a no-no, we only established Suggested Retail Prices.

A warm welcome to B&B, HeF. To answer your question, no, this is not normal market fluctuation for brushes.

Stick around and post often!

Top Bottom