What's new

How do you apply your ASB?

Just wondering how some of you guys apply your ASB. It only takes a small or tiny amount of most After Shave Balms, so in order to get good even coverage, do you apply it on a wet face, in combination with some Thayer's Witch Hazel or some other way?

Most of the time I put a drop or two of ASB in the palm of my left hand, then wet the palm of the same hand with a few shots of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel. I then rub my palms together and rub the mixture onto my face. Most people probably don't use such a combination so I'm wondering how you get your tiny amount of ASB to smooth out evenly. Most of the ASB seem to be too thick to massage in evenly unless somewhat diluted or possibly applied on a wet face.

My primary ASB is Proraso Pre/Post Lotion, Paul Mitchell Skin Moisturizer, Nancy Boy ASB or Coral Skin Food.

Interested to hear what everybody else is doing!

M

modern man

Cold water Splash and a nickel size spread on my face.

My fav it cold water rinse, then Aqua Velva splashed (quite an amount) and Proraso ASB, after that you can call me Mr. Freeze!

Ditto - rub the hands together and then work it into a wet face.

+3(?) With either the Proraso Liquid Cream or the Coral Skin Food, I just use a small amount (two large "drops" from a travel sized bottle of CSF) and rub into a wet face. I might have to rinse right before if I used an alum block, but otherwise it's the post-shave cold rinse and BAM! right to the ASB.

M

modern man

OK, I got the snurdle down to a science but is their an official term for ASB application?:biggrin:

I usually pat my face dry after applying a splash, or just cold water rinse. I dont completely dry it, however I dont like applying ASB with a dripping wet face.

->Cold Water, pat dry

-> Witch Hazel over entire face, leave wet

-> AB/AS, leave wet then:

-> ASB or ASM (nickel-sized or more)

Face remains "wet" throughout the process after WH is applied, and I let it air-dry from there-on-out

Typically pat dry, spritz on Witch Hazel, then apply ASB in very small amounts.

I've been using splashes quite a bit more. With those I just go straight for the splash.

• Dry my face after shaving
  • Splash on Dickenson's Witch Hazel
  • Do my clean-up thing; i.e. rinse soap off lather bowl, etc.
  • By then my face is dry
  • The dime size amount of either Neutrogena Triple Protection Lotion or Nivea ASB on my hand
  • Apply to face.

Norm

->Cold Water, pat dry

-> Witch Hazel over entire face, leave wet

-> AB/AS, leave wet then:

-> ASB or ASM (nickel-sized or more)

Face remains "wet" throughout the process after WH is applied, and I let it air-dry from there-on-out

+1 minus the "pat dry."

I like to remain wet throughout the entire experience...try not to think to hard on that one :wink: .

With proraso pre/post and Coral Skin food, I just use a small amount (say, 2 drops of Skin Food and just lightly dip the tip of my finger into the proraso jar) ans apply to my wet face straight after the cold water splash. I prefer to rub them both between my hands and then apply an even coverage over my face and neck.

With other ASBs, such as Nivea for Men or Proraso Liquid cream, for example, I prefer to apply them to my face after a minute or so, when my face has started to dry out a little. Although they tended to leave more of a residue when I was applying them to a completely dried face, so I avoid doing that now..

Also, very occasionally when I think I haven't put quite enough ASB on, I might just use a tiny dab more for good measure.

I've never used witchhazel as such after shaving though. (might just have to try some of the Thayers stuff)

Warm rinse
Cold rinse
Pat dry
Da vinci water or witch hazel leave wet

Dab of ASB worked into face leave on for a minute or two whilst I clean up and put things into order.

Pat dry any excess ASB

You would be surprised how much of the excess ASB is absorbed in a couple of minutes-this extra step has really worked well for me.

I find getting it right with Proraso Pre/Post to be very difficult, but it can be done with practice.

My process:

Hot water rinse
Cold water rinse
Alum Block
Cold water rinse
(I only use Alum Block and 2nd Cold water rinse 50% of the time)
Witch Hazel - small squirt of Thayer's Lavender into my hands and rub together
(I usually get partially dressed at this point)
4 sprays of Mama Bear's B&B Summer ASB or Quarter size amount of Proraso ASB Milk -- both go to my face when its dry.

I have never tried to apply the ASB with a wet face.

Top Bottom