What's new

moss scuttle

i was wondering if anyone knew if this was a patented item. i was showing a picture of one to my mother-in-law (who is a professional potter) and she said she'd make me one.

i was wondering if anyone knew if this was a patented item. i was showing a picture of one to my mother-in-law (who is a professional potter) and she said she'd make me one.

I don't think you need to worry about a patent if your mother-in-law makes on for you for your own use. On the other hand, if you intend to start selling them, you may have to look into it further.

All I know for certain is that SWMBO just ordered one for me from Sara Bonnyman Pottery in Canada, and I anticipate its arrival with great pleasure.

Last edited:
I doubt they are patented...otherwise, Dirty Bird Pottery and Georgetown Pottery (who make something near as da*mit identical) would be on the receiving end of a lawyer's ire,

Neil,

Plz post pics of it when you get it! I have a GtP Scuttle which I love and use daily, but the Bonnyman does look like a beaut!

Neil,

Which one did you get...the cobalt blue one is AWESOME!

It's called "waterfall." Here's the pic from her website:

proxy.php

The cobalt would have been my next choice, but I like the rustic look of this one.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to worry about a patent if your mother-in-law makes on for you for your own use. On the other hand, if you intend to start selling them, you may have to look into it further.

All I know for certain is that SWMBO just ordered one for me from Sara Bonnyman Pottery in Canada, and I anticipate its arrival with great pleasure.

I am awaiting a scuttle from Sara also (Cobalt Blue, small) Hoping for an end to cold lather!

thanks for the input! i know she said that the one from sara bonnyman looked a little small (even her large one), so i think she's going to make one closer to the large one from dirty bird pottery, but i'm not sure. i did ask her about prices incase anyone else would want one if anyone is interested. you might be very surprized, but i hate to post her prices (i would hate to offend any potter on here).
if interested, just send me a pm

That's great, Neil. I'm sure you will really like it. I love my Dirty Bird 1.5 size scuttle, but I'd love to have a Moss for the days when I face lather- which are becoming more frequent.

I'm also curious about any experiences members have had playing with scuttle making. My wife picked up a brochure for a local place called "Art Barn" where you can DIY pottery for $15-$20. She's figuring a make a thick bowl, a thin bowl that sets inside, and a couple "stand-offs" on the bottom would make a workable scuttle. Not in the same realm as a Dirty Bird of course, but a poor man's wife-made scuttle would have its own charm too.

Thanks, guys. It arrived today and looks great. Can't wait for tomorrow's shave!!

Funny, but I always assumed the top part was removable. :blush:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Very Nice Neil, this the first scuttle or have you had another? Either way I love them, just back from a chilly week on the road without mine & appreciate it more than ever!

I would think that even if it was patented, if you don't intend to sell it, I wouldn't imagine much they could do about it, especially if they never found out....:shifty:

On the other hand, you could always email and ask them

I asked in the other thread and got no reply. Do you guys that own one of these find the heat breaks down the lather that you whip up? I read on a post from leisureguy that his broke down the lather and he returned to a soup bowl.

I asked in the other thread and got no reply. Do you guys that own one of these find the heat breaks down the lather that you whip up? I read on a post from leisureguy that his broke down the lather and he returned to a soup bowl.

The small Moss is not really made for bowl lathering, it is made for face lathering. It is made for parking your brush between passes.

I understand, but does the heat break it down on the brush even for face lathering?

I have only used my scuttle 3 times so far and the lather quality did not break down. I just use hot tap water though. I am not sure what boiling water would do.

Top Bottom