What's new

Sauces- Orange BBQ Sauce

This dipping /glazing sauce is a winner for poultry and not bad on pork.

Play with the juices used and make it your own.
  • 1 cup OJ
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp crushed rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp sage
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
Combine ingredients in saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes taking care not to burn.

Substituting the OJ with tangerine juice is another fantastic option.

B&B sauce depository

Eastern Carolina Vinegar based BBQ sauce

The humble Ketchup/catsup/catchup

Sauces- Kansas City style BBQ

Sauces- South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce

Sauces- Piedmont region BBQ sauce

Sauces- Northwestern region of North Carolina

Sauces- Orange BBQ Sauce

Sauces- The mysterious white BBQ sauce

Last edited:
Sounds wonderful Jim! I think maybe substituting pineapple juice for the orange would really be nice on pork.

Probably, but the only way to know for sure is to try. :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm really liking this series of threads you have going, Jim. This has to be the first of the BBQ sauces you have posted on that I haven't seen nor tried on my own before. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Orange and BBQ just go together. One of the favorite dishes in my house is as simple as it gets...cornish hens on the rotisserie with oranges squeezed over them as they cook. That and a heavy sprinkle of black pepper and a little dose of liquified cilantro at the very end and your set. NY meets Thai street bbq done simple.

I have a very complex long marinade version of this that I honed down to this that is even better. Oranges, cilantro, black pepper, a beer and fish sauce with an overnight marinade on a butterflied chicken (or as many as you need for your group) and it kills. Some spicy dipping sauce and jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk and its like your in Bangkok.

That sounds great. The tangerine sounds like a good idea. Strangely, my better half is allergic to oranges, but not to any other citrus.

Sounds wonderful Jim! I think maybe substituting pineapple juice for the orange would really be nice on pork.

Bob,
Pineapple is a favorite of mine, you must be prudent in your use of pineapple in any marinade or basting liquid. There are powerful enzymes in pineapple juice that can make the meat mushy and soft. This is more of an issue with fresh juice rather than one that has been processed.
Using it at the end of the cook is no problem.

Bob,
Pineapple is a favorite of mine, you must be prudent in your use of pineapple in any marinade or basting liquid. There are powerful enzymes in pineapple juice that can make the meat mushy and soft. This is more of an issue with fresh juice rather than one that has been processed.
Using it at the end of the cook is no problem.

Good advice there Jim...pear does the same thing. I use pear on my Korean BBQ (from even before CI advised to do so) when I dont have the time to do a full marinade.

Top Bottom