What's new

Newbie soap/cream ???

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to wet shaving, about 3 months or so. I've already established a pretty respectable den with the following:

3 Gillette Techs: all late 40's models I believe (no date codes)-1 nickel slim handle, and 1 thick handle nickel, 1 thick handle gold tone

1 1955 flair tip Superspeed
1 1964 Slim Adjustable
1 1960 Fatboy

honorable mention: 1 Parker 86R slim long handle TTO

My wife gave me 2 tins of Pre de Provence shea butter soap, which I like. I have a Vulfix 24mm Badger brush

Blades are samplers from WestCoast, plus Wallyworld Personnas, some old/new stock Wilkinsons, Gillette slims(red box) , and about 100 freakin Shark blades that came with the Parker.

Need some advice on the value of creams over the soap I'm using, or can you incorporate both into the routine?? Is it a noticeable difference? Also, are there other soaps that would be noticeably better than what I have.

I guess I have early RAD more than any noticeable SAD or SCAD at this point. :biggrin: . Gentlemen, looking forward to your wise counsel

P.S. Should I try to post a pic of the den? Is it easy to do? :rolleyes:

Welcome to B&B!

Got a Tech too, good thing!

You can use both soaps and creams in your routine, np.

In general, creams are a bit softer, which makes them easier to lather. Albeit soaps are not difficult to lather...

I do not have experience with Pre de Provence but hopefully other members can help you out.

Have a look also in the review section!

If you want to post a picture of your den that is up to you.
Most members will critique it softly.

To download photos is actually quite easy:
1- Just take a digital photo that you like and want to post
2- Download to your computer and save the file
3- When you post next, use the attach button (paper-clip) It is below the title and above the message you are writing.
4- another window will pop up so you can browse and find your file
5-hit upload file, when complete go back to message and preview file

Piece of cake,
John

Welcome to B&B!

Looks like you are off to a good start -- everything you have is quite respectable.

Both creams and soaps will work about as well. I prefer soaps but couldn't give you a nice solid argument as to why. I like 'em so I use 'em is my best argument. I guess I do find soaps a little more convenient to use, given my habits. There is kind of a fuzzy line between the two anyway. The Italian "soaps" are often soft and putty like. One I like (Cella) is actually called (in Italian) "creamy soap" or even "barber's cream" depending on which packaging you get it in. I hear at least one vendor groups it with the creams on their web pages.

If you have RAD you might want to branch out into single edge (SE) razors, including the injectors. These are a little more off the beaten trail.

Some of us also shave with straight razors but that involves a bit more commitment in expensive equipment (strops and someday probably hones).

So there is plenty to feed your "AD"s!

Posting pics is easy if you have a digital camera and I guess if you have a camera it is likely digital! When you create a post scroll downward for the "manage attachments" button. That lets you attach pictures to your post.

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you've got a very respectable selection of gear!

I find myself switching between the soaps and creams, just for the variety.

Since you've got such an outstanding avatar, I'd be willing to send a tube of Tom's of Maine Mint cream your way for the cost of posting it. PM me if interested.

Don't discount those Shark blades...They are my current favorite!

Welcome to B&B.

Looks like you've got things well in hand. You need to try the products out for yourself to know what they're about. Given what you have, I'd suggest a tallow soap (tabac is a good, inexpensive choice), glycerin soap (colonel conks is cheap), and I'll leave it for others to suggest a cream since I don't care for most of them.

Generaly, a tallow soap will provide the best protection. It means your face will feel less abused afterward, but you might find the razor gliding less when you shave. Glycerin soap will give better glide, but less protection. For oil soaps and creams, there's no very clear distinction since the product groups overlap a little in terms of protection and glide, but it's true in general that tallow and oil soaps give better protection, and creams give better glide.

My recommendations - 1 per on great soap / cream (YMMV, obviously).

soap: TGQ - leatherneck!

cream: Wesley & Scott - clove & peppermint

'other' - not really sure if this would be considered a cream, or even an shaving liquid (I received this free with a razor I purchased, its very fluid, but lathers quickly and with A LOT of volume; great smell, slight tingling feel, and most importantly, an awesome shave)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shaving-cream-soap-Earthy-Fresh-lanolin-glycerin-clay_W0QQitemZ150376444060QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230322709c&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I find creams easier to lather than soaps (generaly) but they are both great performers!

To start, I like to keep it simple. Proraso! Soap or cream, it's great! I still have it in my rotation and love it!

For the picture, if you do a quick reply, click on Advanced and upload your picture using the paperclip logo. If you can, yes, post a picture of your den!

Welcome to B&B! I'd say try any soap or cream that seems appealing, though there's no specific reason to other than to see what works best for you.

When I'm using soaps, I think soaps are the best. When I'm using creams, I think creams are the best. In other words, both work great. Better brands like Trumpers, DR. Harris, AOS (and many others) will give you better performance than VDH or drug store brands. With that said, VDH isn't bad. You can use soaps and creams as you please. Use just one type or mix and match.

Need some advice on the value of creams over the soap I'm using, or can you incorporate both into the routine?? Is it a noticeable difference? Also, are there other soaps that would be noticeably better than what I have.

P.S. Should I try to post a pic of the den? Is it easy to do? :rolleyes:

As far as soaps and creams go - both categories are fully capable of generating excellent lather, and both have good and not-so-good products.

In the soap category, there are constantly good recommendations for:
Tabac ($11 soap only, $14 with jar shipped from here)
Mitchell's Wool Fat ($12 soap only, $20 with jar shipped from here)
Van Der Hagen (VDH) Deluxe ($2 locally from any drugstore / Wal-Mart)

On the cream side, you regularly hear about:
Proraso / CO Bigelow (same product, different name) ($10 locally from Bath and Body Works, $10 from Amazon)
Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) - Avocado ($15.50 from Amazon)
The Body Shop Shaving Cream ($10 locally from The Body Shop)

Obviously, there are TONS AND TONS of other soaps and creams - most of the ones talked about on these forums will produce excellent lather with the right amount of water and good technique. Also to note are things like superlather (soap and shaving cream mix) and uberlather (soap, shaving cream, and glycerin mix), which further feed the SAD/SCAD. Anyhow, I hope this gives you a place to start...

Thanks for all the input Gents. I think I sense something. Yes, I can feel it more now..... OMG, I think I may be coming down with a serious case of SAD or SCAD or possibly both. Is there a vaccine , or counseling available for this, or should I just give in.......:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom