What's new

B&B Brush Review/Comparo - Silvertip VS Finest Silvertip....

Alright gentlemen.... the readers digest version is - we've got 2 winners. Both knots have had their density increased by a shocking 20%! Sweet jeeazaloo! These things are really, really, really damn good, and are both fit for kings in their own right. I'll get to what you're interested in... pictures.... 60 of 'em :biggrin: - and talk a little bit more about the brushes, the differences, and so on and so forth. Now, before I go any further - please note: THIS IS JUST A DISCUSSION REGARDING THE 2 BRUSH KNOTS. THESE BRUSHES ARE NOT THE FINAL VERSION - AS THE FINAL VERSION WILL HAVE THE APPROPRIATE MARKINGS ON THE BODY OF THE BRUSH - AND THE FINAL VERSION WILL BE OFFERED IN 4 FLAVORS - STANDARD SILVERTIP - FINEST SILVERTIP AND WITH A FAUX HORN, OR FAUX EBONY HANDLE.

Note: The finest was used first on all tests to purposely give the standard silvertip an unfair advantage (pre-wetted/softened soap) as if the finest was to be considered - it really had to win me over after my inital test - as initially the first prototype I was sent was incredibly floppy. (The lather from each soap was washed away prior to using the standard silvertip - so the finest's lather didn't "help" it seem like it was making more) Also, due to the incredible density - the brush did shed more than I expected for the first 2-3 uses - about 5-7 hairs per use, however it immediatly stopped shedding after the 2nd or 3rd use - and held up beautifully, even under tremendous torture.

Ok..... hold on to yer butts...

Comparison - Finest Silvertip on the left, Standard Silvertip in the middle, PJ2 Super on the right...
full

From the top...
full

full

Giving the "Finest Silvertip" a go....
full

full

full

full

25 swirls....
full

No "flop"
full

Come to daddy....
full

Now time to get to work on the standard silvertip....
full

full

full

full

full

25 swirls...
full

Lathermeister.....
full

After scrubbing the $&%% out of ny face with both brushes (half on one side of my face - half on the other for 4 passes) Finest on left - Standard on right...
full

Finest....
full

Standard....
full

Finest on left - standard on right....
full

SCS Almond time w/finest....
full

full

25 swirls...
full

full

One swipe on the palm......
full

Standard Silvertip....
full

25 Swirls....
full

As you can see - n=creates lathher totally different.... you put this thing to your face - and it just EXPLODES where as the Finest explodes in the bowl...
full

One palm swipe....
full

Finest on left, standard on right....
full

Finest w/mama bear....
full

full

20 swirls...
full

Palm swipe...
full

20 swirls w/standard silvertip...
full

Palm swipe w/standard silvertip...
full

Now it gets kinda crazy...

Finest w/DR Harris Lavender...
full

After only 7 swirls your can't even see the damn bowl in my hand.... and it is there....
full

See - I told ya!
full

After another 13 swirls to make a total of only 20 swirls and I have more lather than I know what to do with!
full

Total madness!
full

20 swirls with the standard silvertip...
full

Finest on left - standard on right
full

As you can see the standard is a lot "cleaner" to use but I still hate those stupid wooden bowls...
full

Finest on left...
full

Standard silvertip supporting the heavy bowl of DR Harris (to show lack of floppyness)
full

Finest supporting the bowl...
full

full

Finest on left...
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Totally dry...
full

Thoughts:
Well.... both brushes as you can see did really a superlative job, and both were quite soft on ones face - however they both had a distinctly different "feel" and personality to them. I would call the Finest a Rolls Royce.... big, beautiful, and just about the most luxurious experience on the planet. The standard silvertip I would call an Aston Martin - still luxurious, still beautiful, and still superb - but with more of a sporting flair to it. The finest is really something special... when looking at the bristle tip under magnification - you can see the unmolested (non-bleached) tips look RADICALLY different than my Plissons, Simpsons, Kents, Rooney finest - hell even the standard EJ Silvertip.... looks like some manufacturers have been lyin' to us - as the appeal of the non-dyed brush are the natural occuring microserrations at the tip of the bristle (which bleach melts away) which REALLY cause the brush to make an immediate explosion of lather - these tips coupled with the density increased by 20% make this really a fearsome force to reckon with. I dunno why - but at least for me - this would be my special occasion brush - or a way to "treat" myself every so often - as this thing just really doesn't mess around, and at least for my taste - really NEEDS to be enjoyed. I personally wouldn't use the finest as a daily use brush - as for me, it would be a crime to ever rush a shave with this brush and to not take in the full enjoyment/luxury it has to offer - which is where the standard silvertip model comes in BEAUTIFULLY and which is why I am buying both.... the standard silvertip is probably the best daily use brush money can buy. Sure you COULD easily use the finest daily - but it creates more of a mess (seriously this thing is like filling a bathtub full of bubble bath - then blasting the water on high into the bubble bath liquid) and it is at least for me - just too much of a good thing for daily use, as well.... I just don't feel that special or deserving of something that nice every day - and saving it for "special" occasions or times when I really want to treat myself (like I do with all of my super high end/expensive brushes and razors) brings me more enjoyment.

Descriptions:
Finest: The tips of this brush feel a touch firmer than the standard silvertip - however the tips are very springy and the brush is VERY dense, so it has a wonderful, pillowy/feather like feeling. Really decadent, not at all floppy, and you can really work up an absurd amount of lather on your face, or in a bowl. Whatever it is, if it can lather - just get this thing near it, and you'll drown your bathroom in lather. This thing doesn't mess around... at all. If you are a fan of triple milled soaps, this will literally COVER your arm in lather ( b/c of the microserrations) if you give it the same 30-40 or so swirls you would with your normal "insert brand here" brush. Only one term is needed to describe this brush.... over-indulgence. Think of this thing as a 9 course meal or a quadruple chocolate pound cake with multiple fudge layers, and a chocolate coating. This is like no other brush I have used... and in a good way.... but just like with chocolate - too much of a good thing COULD be too much for every day use. Maybe it's just my simpleton ways....

Silvertip: Just a real damn peach of a brush. There is really nothing that isn't fun about it. It's a hell of a lot of fun to use and look at. Feels great, works great, and is just a lot of fun. Doesn't make a mess, keeps the lather right in the bristle until you chose to blast your face - just really a killer everyday brush you simply couldn't get tired of. With its radically increased density (over the standard silvertip offerings available to the public) this is like a much more luxurious (and better build/more durable )version of a Simpson Chubby. The tips are much softer, and the bristle isn't stiff - but it sure gives you one hell of a face full 'o badger. Actually, a good way to describe this brush is a mix between the everyday use characteristics of a Simpsons PJ2 Super in that it doesn't make a mess, feels great, excels with all products equally, perfect size, superb handle - mixed with the positive attributes of a Simpson Chubby - a hell of a lot of luxurious badger... BUT - one BIG BIG "BUT" - this brush is a whole lot less expensive, a whole lot better looking, and built much better than anything from Simpson, Rooney, Plisson, Vulfix, etc.

Bottom line... these brushes (both of them) are BIG time winners, and both of them are without question the best in their class.... the finest in total luxury, and the standard in every day use. If you can only get one.... I apologize, cause it's gonna be one hell of a hard decision.

Good news/Bad news (kinda) - there is going to be a very small bump up in price - instead of being $105 shipped, it will be $110 shipped, so an increase of $5. This is for several reasons - but foremost a boost in badger density of a whopping 20%. Also, the horrible exchange rate (U.S. Dollar to GBP) is killin' EJ as well, same with the additional tooling/labor/pictures/and admin costs of offering SIX different options (Standard Silvertip, Finest Silvertip, Faux Horn Handle, Faux Ebony Handle, Text upside down OR right side up - depending on whether or not you wish to keep the brush in the stand) etc. Now the good news - I still wanted to offer the brush at $105, and bring you guys outstanding value - so John went to town and worked out quite a deal for us - so, if you purchase a brush - the price of the razor goes down on the razor (the price for our custom razor will be LESS than the standard EJ branded version - so it should be quite a good deal as well) so the NET cost if you buy the brush and the razor will actually be LESS than what the original figures were, so even more of a reason to get the matching razor :biggrin:

Since we made some pretty aggressive tweaks to the original brush concept, and it is going to be even more costly to produce for EJ (They are really gonna take one on the chin for us) I think they are really being splendid with the pricing for us. Since X-MAS is next week, and they don't have pictures of the razor, and the final details ready, we are going to wait until Jan 1st to open up the order page (stay tuned for the details) as ordering it this weekend would be moot anyway - as they are closed all next week, and the post office is closed as well..... just one more week fellas - and trust me... it is WORTH the wait!

ALL the details we have are in this thread... so please be patient with your questions and wait for an update. We are 100% certain on the razor pricing, but expect it to be about $60 with the custom stampings.

Let the countdown begin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel:

The amount of effort you've put into this project has been nothing short of exemplary, especially during what is (for most people) the busiest and most chaotic time of the year. You are to be commended. Repeatedly.

For all you do...well, you know the rest. :smile:

Looks great, thanks again for a very detailed response. I/we appreciate the time you spent on giving us some insight on the new brush whilst testing.

There are moments when you just feel the need to go and have a quiet word with yourself. This is one of them - up to now I only really thought 1 brush would be all a man needs. And to a degree it's true......however what a man wants!! Roll on the 1st. I'm calling mine Darth....

Joel:

The amount of effort you've put into this project has been nothing short of exemplary, especially during what is (for most people) the busiest and most chaotic time of the year. You are to be commended. Repeatedly.

For all you do...well, you know the rest. :smile:

Direct most of your thanks to John.... he did more work than me :biggrin:

Direct most of your thanks to John.... he did more work than me :biggrin:

My apologies to John. You too should be praised. I'm sorry for overlooking you.

I am beyond impressed with the level of effort put towards this project. It clearly shows the amount of passion you guys have for this (admittedly) niche hobby (believe me, that's not meant as a slight). If everyone put forth this level of effort into their daily lives, I'm sure we'd all be much happier, healthier, and wealthier.

Kudos! :thumbup: Applause! :clap:

Well, I may HAVE to go with one, as I think Santa/SWMBO bought me a Vulfix for X-mas. As much as it saddens me to think of going only with one, I suppose I would get the Rolls. The Vulfix for everyday, and the Rolls when I want something special! Hmmmm...think she would be offended if I sell the Vulfix and.....

We have neither dog, nor doghouse, but perhaps I had better start building one.... :biggrin:

John, Joel...congratulations on a helluva product! :thumbup:

Well, I may HAVE to go with one, as I think Santa/SWMBO bought me a Vulfix for X-mas. As much as it saddens me to think of going only with one, I suppose I would get the Rolls. The Vulfix for everyday, and the Rolls when I want something special! Hmmmm...think she would be offended if I sell the Vulfix and.....

We have neither dog, nor doghouse, but perhaps I had better start building one.... :biggrin:

John, Joel...congratulations on a helluva product! :thumbup:

When a brush is so compelling that someone is "going to build a dog"...then it must be an incredible brush!!!

Randy

Top Bottom