What's new

Discussion Thread For Robert Williams 8/8 Elite French Tip Giraffe Bone Custom

Man, very nice. It doesn't look big and unwieldy in pictures either, even in the one where you're holding it. I know what you mean about the jimps though, I saw similar comments in another RW review about them, but looking at your closeup it doesn't look random either, specially when everything else is so spot on.

I have a long wait still for mine.

Nice review Paul and most certainly a beautiful razor. Considering some of the other razors in your collection, the statement about this being your finest shaver speaks volumes. I can't wait to see it in person!

Would you prefer the razor if the jimps were perfectly spaced and perfectly uniform?

Not necessarily. It's just that when you get something that is so close to being absolutely perfect, slight imperfections stand out. I love the razor as it is, but I couldn't give a 10 out of 10 for that one thing.

Methinks Paul is being too picky about hand carven jimps. :tongue:

Good review.

BUT, the jimps on the bottom are perfect which is extremely impressive. I'm not too picky; I just couldn't be the proud owner that didn't point out the slightest flaw. I would highly recommend this work, and I hope nothing ever causes me to have to part ways with this fine piece!

Nice review Paul and most certainly a beautiful razor. Considering some of the other razors in your collection, the statement about this being your finest shaver speaks volumes. I can't wait to see it in person!

It's true. The high praise is also why I felt the need to let people who don't know me that well to know that I am kinda picky and tend to understate things. I just can't give this high enough praise.

Great great razor.

I am sometimes very very hard about current production because I see such a load of bull used to describe so called quality.

But that razor looks modern but an improvement on old technology.

You are being ultra picky about the top gimps.

They have been deliberately spaced and shamfered. Very skillfully and then they have been mirror finished. Just wonderful craftmanship. I would give them a twelve out of ten.

That is a stunning piece of American craftmanship and great value for money.

Great review.

Last edited:
Great great razor.

I am sometimes very very hard about current production because I see such a load of bull used to describe so called quality.

But that razor looks modern but an improvement on old technology.

You are being ultra picky about the top gimps.

They have been deliberately spaced and shamfered. Very skillfully and then they have been mirror finished. Just wonderful craftmanship. I would give them a twelve out of ten.

That is a stunning piece of American craftmanship and great value for money.

Take it easy on me :biggrin:

I with you on everything except the rating, but I've told many people that I think a custom from Robert Williams is probably THE best value in custom straight razors today.

Last edited:
In Paul's defense, one jimp is cut lower than the two on either side. Looks like a slight flaw to me. But I'm not as picky as Paul is. I still woulda given it a 10, but pointed it out.

In Paul's defense, one jimp is cut lower than the two on either side. Looks like a slight flaw to me. But I'm not as picky as Paul is. I still woulda given it a 10, but pointed it out.

Also, the spacing isn't exactly the same either. The chamfering is awesome, but it isn't "perfect" which is what 10 out of 10 means, IMO. Trust me, it's not a complaint... not even a little bit :wink:

Agreed on the jimps, but then again RW is not known for having perfect jimps.
I'm with leighton on this one, 10/10, but would mention the jimps.

It looks as though he was going for a progressively wider space between the jimps and deeper cuts along the way, but had a hiccup or two.

And that "elite" french point looks more than a little scary. :001_tt1:

Not necessarily. It's just that when you get something that is so close to being absolutely perfect, slight imperfections stand out. I love the razor as it is, but I couldn't give a 10 out of 10 for that one thing.

BUT, the jimps on the bottom are perfect which is extremely impressive. I'm not too picky; I just couldn't be the proud owner that didn't point out the slightest flaw. I would highly recommend this work, and I hope nothing ever causes me to have to part ways with this fine piece!

I don't know, you don't have a photo of the bottom jimps, and it's hard to judge them from the side view. You say they are perfect, which tells me it's not lack of skill on the part of Robert to make the top ones perfect either.
I personally wouldn't like it with perfect jimps, or with perfect spine work as much as the way it is now and consider the imperfections part of the good craftsmanship. It's a rather fine line between being sloppy and being artistic.

After all, I'm sure some people think Jackson Pollock's or Picaso's art is garbage and would prefer the symetry of a sheet of paper with a perfectly spaced grid on it.

Just my 2c on it, it's your razor but I think it matches your specifications exactly.

I don't know, you don't have a photo of the bottom jimps, and it's hard to judge them from the side view. You say they are perfect, which tells me it's not lack of skill on the part of Robert to make the top ones perfect either.
I personally wouldn't like it with perfect jimps, or with perfect spine work as much as the way it is now and consider the imperfections part of the good craftsmanship. It's a rather fine line between being sloppy and being artistic.

After all, I'm sure some people think Jackson Pollock's or Picaso's art is garbage and would prefer the symetry of a sheet of paper with a perfectly spaced grid on it.

Just my 2c on it, it's your razor but I think it matches your specifications exactly.

I'll second that! The razor is made by a human, not a machine.

The razor is a beauty. Just enjoy it!

I'll second that! The razor is made by a human, not a machine.

The razor is a beauty. Just enjoy it!

Please read the other posts where I said I'm not complaining and I LOVE IT. Saying something is NOT PERFECT isn't a slam. It's saying it's so dang close to perfect that this is the ONLY thing that can be picked in the slightest. Gugi, believe me when I said I studied it for a long time looking at the variations in the jimps and I was thinking that it was progressively getting wider at first, but upon closer inspection, that's not the case.

For Pete's sake, stop acting like I said he didn't do a great job. It's unbelievable, just not 100% perfect. AND THAT'S OK!!!!:rolleyes:

And that "elite" french point looks more than a little scary. :001_tt1:

Those are not two words you read in the same sentence everyday... :biggrin:

Btw, great razor, love the scales, and I agree that you cannot call it 10/10 unless it's perfect, but I wouldn't want a perfect one anyways

Top Bottom