What's new

Discussion Thread For Robert Williams 8/8 Elite French Tip Giraffe Bone Custom

Please read the other posts where I said I'm not complaining and I LOVE IT. Saying something is NOT PERFECT isn't a slam. It's saying it's so dang close to perfect that this is the ONLY thing that can be picked in the slightest. Gugi, believe me when I said I studied it for a long time looking at the variations in the jimps and I was thinking that it was progressively getting wider at first, but upon closer inspection, that's not the case.

For Pete's sake, stop acting like I said he didn't do a great job. It's unbelievable, just not 100% perfect. AND THAT'S OK!!!!:rolleyes:

Oh, alright, I guess we'll stop nagging you...:biggrin:

Oh, alright, I guess we'll stop nagging you...:biggrin:

I ain't stopping, otherwise this thread will never catch up with the HART razor one...

Please read the other posts where I said I'm not complaining and I LOVE IT. Saying something is NOT PERFECT isn't a slam. It's saying it's so dang close to perfect that this is the ONLY thing that can be picked in the slightest. Gugi, believe me when I said I studied it for a long time looking at the variations in the jimps and I was thinking that it was progressively getting wider at first, but upon closer inspection, that's not the case.

For Pete's sake, stop acting like I said he didn't do a great job. It's unbelievable, just not 100% perfect. AND THAT'S OK!!!!:rolleyes:
Well, the jimps are not perfectly the same, but because of that you gave it lower grade on craftsmanship, which of course is fine if you measure that by how close to perfect it is. By the same token the scales are not perfect either - the paint is not uniform and the bone material has grain that lacks a lot of symmetry. I guess you are saying that you think the particular variations in the upper jimps are not the perfect choice and you would have preferred jimps that may not be uniform, but have less randomness.
Of course that's a matter of preference, but if you look at nature you'll never find that level of uniformity. That's why I think that the razor is much closer to your specifications, than your expectations are :)

And yes I understand you like it a lot, but I think you didn't communicate well what you actually want. I've seen both types of razors made by Robert and they look good in a different way.

Well, the jimps are not perfectly the same, but because of that you gave it lower grade on craftsmanship, which of course is fine if you measure that by how close to perfect it is. By the same token the scales are not perfect either - the paint is not uniform and the bone material has grain that lacks a lot of symmetry. I guess you are saying that you think the particular variations in the upper jimps are not the perfect choice and you would have preferred jimps that may not be uniform, but have less randomness.
Of course that's a matter of preference, but if you look at nature you'll never find that level of uniformity. That's why I think that the razor is much closer to your specifications, than your expectations are :)

And yes I understand you like it a lot, but I think you didn't communicate well what you actually want. I've seen both types of razors made by Robert and they look good in a different way.

:lol: Ok... If they were more random (top and bottom), I would agree with your assessment 100% about the jimps. The scales are different because they actually are from nature, and you get what you get with them. Had the spine work and bottom jimps not been SO perfect, I would definitely have given it a 10 out of 10 because I would have assumed that it was intentional.

FWIW, my comment in the earlier post wasn't directed at you, but I totally and whole heartedly disagree with you on not communicating what I want. What I wanted was Robert's vision of a razor with a few of my preferred elements. I didn't want a razor that matched up with all of my specifications. I wanted to let the artist create something based on a rough roadmap. I got exactly that. So, I say I communicated what I wanted perfectly.

Wow, this has turned into quite a controversy. I'm thinking you should send the razor over to my house for a few months until this whole thing dies down a bit! :lol::lol: :w00t: :lol::lol:

Wow, this has turned into quite a controversy. I'm thinking you should send the razor over to my house for a few months until this whole thing dies down a bit! :lol::lol: :w00t: :lol::lol:

proxy.php

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ohhhh lord! Jimpiny Cricket! They are uneven I confess. However, I love RW's newest work. Hes improved so much since Joel's 10/8 giraffe bone that inspired these scales. Really wonderful work!

And you sir have wonderful taste! Enjoy her!

Soon her Damascus sister will be in my shave den! :biggrin:

Well, one thing in this review I find missing. If it were I making this review I would include: 1. The size of the razor. 2. The cutting edge length. 3. The toal length open. 4. The total length closed.5. If the scales are 2 piece, what is the wedge made of.
I also would enclude the spine thickness and height of the blade from spine to cutting edge. And finally, what type of grind on the blade.
Otherwise that is one beautiful piece of workmanship. I hope one day to be lucky enough to have one.

Well, one thing in this review I find missing. If it were I making this review I would include: 1. The size of the razor. 2. The cutting edge length. 3. The toal length open. 4. The total length closed.5. If the scales are 2 piece, what is the wedge made of.
I also would enclude the spine thickness and height of the blade from spine to cutting edge. And finally, what type of grind on the blade.
Otherwise that is one beautiful piece of workmanship. I hope one day to be lucky enough to have one.

Thanks for the input. I didn't include those elements because, well I don't care. I showed the grind, and it's pretty easy to see what it is... why enumerate it? The size is given in the title of the discussion thread if not the actual review ( I thought it was, but not certain now). The open and closed lengths couldn't be less interesting to me, so it had zero bearing on the review. Besides that, I don't own mini-calipers which would be needed. When you get one, please show us/me how to do a "good" review:001_smile

I didn't say you did a bad review. All I said this is what IMO be in a review. If a new person or someone who wanted to have that information would not get it from what you put in a review. A review should not only have what your likes and dislikes are but a overview of what the specs are for the device your reviewing. I know that in the future you will be sure to put this information in. But maybe not because if you don't care about certain parts of what a review is then maybe you shouldn't be doing reviews. Unless you just want to bring attention to yourself for owning a cretain type and make of razor. If that the reason well then put it in the show and tell or maybe the gallery.

Oh, it was a bad review. If you really look at it.:rolleyes:

I didn't say you did a bad review. All I said this is what IMO be in a review. If a new person or someone who wanted to have that information would not get it from what you put in a review. A review should not only have what your likes and dislikes are but a overview of what the specs are for the device your reviewing. I know that in the future you will be sure to put this information in. But maybe not because if you don't care about certain parts of what a review is then maybe you shouldn't be doing reviews. Unless you just want to bring attention to yourself for owning a cretain type and make of razor. If that the reason well then put it in the show and tell or maybe the gallery.

Oh, it was a bad review. If you really look at it.:rolleyes:

Thanks :lol: The review followed the format given. Just because YOU think it was incomplete doesn't mean that it didn't meet the standards of a quality review... The fact that you said it "IMO would be in a review" illustrates the point. If a new person is looking at this information and can't determine most of what you were asking for, or just plain didn't see, then they seriously don't need to be buying pieces of this quality. They aren't ready for it. Additionally, I will not be including those specs such as lengths on any one-off pieces that I may review in the future because it's irrelevant. Any one else that wants a razor from Robert will get exactly what THEY want. What I got is not relevant. What is relevant is seeing the quality of his work, knowing that he can balance a razor, etc.

I've already done plenty of posting about this razor on other threads to "bring attention" to myself :rolleyes:... This was about showing guys who may be considering commissioning a custom razor what I thought about the fine piece that Robert did for me.

And the rest of what you said, is just plain sad. Take care of yourself, buddy. :001_rolle

EDIT: Just to refresh my memory, I went back and re-read Joel's review of his RW razor. I know I'm not nearly as thorough as he was, but I noticed that those specs that you thought necessarily went into a review weren't there... HERE :wink:

Last edited:
I have never seen a razor review, or venders website with ALL the specs for a razor. This is ungentlemanly behavior!

Reminds me of another discussion threat for an RW razor. His razors make me crazy to so I understand!!:wink: But really, lets keep it classy!

Last edited:
Paul and I took or discussion off line and have now reached an understanding. I was not fair in my tone and apologized for it.
All is well.

Dang! What a beautiful piece! With all this talk of abnormalities and the like................ well I can't wait! :biggrin:

Take Care,
Richard

Top Bottom