What's new

1st shave in the books!

Okay, some of you know that I've been researching this stuff for several months. I've watched "most" of the videos, posted some questions and have even been trying to get down the process of lathering with my Mach (trial runs until my real razor showed up).

Well, I have to say through the patience of this board, I feel very comfortable with my setup, in fact I'm proud of it! Here is a list of my current gear:
  • Merkur long handled HD (38B) -beautiful blue handle
  • Penworks 22mm Finest Badger brush
  • Cnl. Conk Styptic Pencil (as of yet unused)
  • C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream
  • Awesome blade sampler pack from westcoastshaving.com
  • Nivea replenishing post shave balm

After admiring my new cobalt blue Merkur for what seemed to be an hour, lifting the cap off...screwing it back down....taking dry runs down my cheek to see how it felt....I finally loaded it up with a Derby. Decided that was the blade for me to start out with. I opted to not load the Merkur blade that came with my razor, in fact I might just toss it because how can something that jostles around in a package all the way from Germany still be factory smooth and sharp?

So, I soak my brush and hop in the shower. I swear my shower was quicker than usual because of my excitement and anxiety to shave. At the sink, I pour the water out of my mug and shake as much water out of my brush as I can. This is a new step for me, usually don't start with a semi dry brush. Turned on the faucet to a trickle, squeezed out a nickel sized dollop of cream onto my brush and went to work! I kept adding a bit of water every so often to see how the lather was progressing. At first it was all in the brush, not creamy, very thick. Then it started to come out of the brush and was getting more yogurtish just lighter. I knew I was getting close...a little more water and I thought I was there. Perfect peaks on the brush and nice thick (not foamy) lather. Tested it with my fingers and it was very slippery. Awesome! Went to work lathering up my face.

Okay...here it comes. I reach down and slide my Merkur into my hand. The blade seemed to have grown out from under the cap a few feet! SCARY!!! But, I sucked it up...found a comfortable grip that would prevent me from putting any pressure on my face...placed the cap on my cheek, rotated the razor down while moving in a downward stroke and found that sweet angle. WOW what a sound!!! It really really grabs those hairs!! But it doesn't hurt or pull like it sounds like it should. Just really loud. So far so good!! Great angle, hair seems to be coming off and I seem to be doing well at no pressure. The razor itself has just an incredible feel to it, the weight is more than enough for the shave. note: all these passes are WTG (with the grain).

I get down to my jaw line and I'm thinking, okay here is where I get my first nick. Whelp...here goes...and zoop! Around my jawline down my neck with no problem! Awesome...the one thing I wasn't sure about is how often do you turn the razor? Do you do one pass with one edge then the next with the other? Do you do one side of your face with one side and vice versa? I just sort of twisted it back and forth so as to keep both sides happy. Not sure that it was even or anything.

Now comes my chin. The hair seemed to be more difficult in this area. I needed to pull the razor a bit more to get it through. I suck at shaving this part of my face. It is the most difficult to get smooth. But I just take short strokes and do my best. Neck went fairly easy too. So, my first WTG pass was successful!!! No nicks, no burning. Still feel quite a bit of hair left, so after a quick warm rinse I re-lather and get ready for pass #2 WTG. Again, very successful.

So, I'm feeling pretty confident at this point. But I remember what others have said about getting too cocky then they need a few stitches hehe...so I tried to remain focused. A re-lather and I tried a XTG pass (across the grain). Again, my cheeks loved it...my chin sort of fought it and my neck seemed to do okay.

I know you're not supposed to go for BBS (baby butt smooth) on your first shave, but I couldn't help but try an ATG (against the grain) on my cheeks. This is where I figured I'd not be able to maintain an angle and nick myself, but NO!!! Went well!!

I did have some trouble around my top lip, it was touch and go as far as how close I can get to my nose. And also those two little ridges in the middle of your lip? I figured I'd shave them right off..but NOOOO....it actually went well. Pretty smooth too for only WTG passes. I didn't spend alot of time here. Sure did not want to press my luck.

Okay, all done! There are some spots I'd like to touch up...but I'm leaving them. Not pushing my luck at all...I'm very happy with my first shave and I'd say that I probably achieved a DFS (damn fine shave). So, here's the test. I rinsed really well in cold water to close the pores. Then grabbed the Nivea. It contains alcohol. Here is where I'd find out where I screwed up...it had to happen right? Wow, it was very soothing. No major burns anywhere. I have a little discomfort under the right side of my chin and had a few red bumps on my lower neck, but they seems to have gone already.

All in all, I want to thank everyone here for your excellent advice on equipment and technique. I'd like to thank cuttingedgerazors.com, westcoastshaving.com, and Bath and Body Works for providing amazing products at great prices. Silex over at cuttingedgerazors is making an acrylic stand for me, but he got sick last week...and is running a bit behind. So hope to get that soon.

I'll be taking a picture of my setup. Very proud of it. And even more proud of my shave. So far, the Derby blades are coporating with my face in a pleasant manner. I have some others to try, feathers, crystal, personna, etc.

Congratulations! You have every reason to be proud of your setup. It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your selections and it paid off with a great first DE shave.

You can count on it..there is no going back now!! I gotta tell ya though..it is a little intimidating bringing that blade to your face...but exhilerating and rewarding when you get through it! I feel like part of an elite group of folks willing to learn and expieriment with these sharp buggers. Love it!

Nice kit you have assembled so far and by the sounds of it you have done well with the shave, your description was great! Sounds like you`ve really enjoyed the experience, it gets better as you go forward. Congratulations mate, I`m sure you will have many more. Stephen.

Congrats! How's the tactile feel on that blue Merkur -- does it get slick, or stay firmly in your hand?

Congrats! How's the tactile feel on that blue Merkur -- does it get slick, or stay firmly in your hand?

On shave 4 and onto my Merkur blade. I got two shaves out of my Derby and I noticed it wasn't reducing nearly as nicely as the first one. So I just swapped it out for the Merkur that came with my razor (which I said I wasn't going to use). But I have to say that I'm as impressed with it as the Derby. Very nice shave!!

To answer your question Gruder, the tactile feel of this razor is amazing. I don't do the three finger hold like has been suggested here, but I hold it with my whole hand sort of...well...hard to explain, but I'm really glad I got the long handled version. The blue looks really nice! And I'm very careful to not put ANY pressure on the razor at all..I just let it glide over my face. It's very very nice. Never feel like it's slipping or anything. Easy to control.

Now, for the amazing part. I'm on shave 4 and I've yet to nick myself once or get anything resembling a weeper. *knock on wood* I've even gotten a bit more confidence to try ATG. In fact the last shave consisted of two WTG passes, one ATG, then a couple XTG...with one more ATG with NO rash or bumps or irritation. I think the Prosaro shaving cream must be an outstanding product, I attribute it all to that! I be sure and relather before each pass and it goes really well.

I'm still having issues around the chin, it's very hard to get it smooth around there and I'm a bit apprehensive of nicking myself (remember that knocking on wood earlier?). But I did get it pretty well last time. I can't say that I've achieved BBS yet...but am getting a consistent high end DFS everytime!

Signed,
Why did I wait so long to start wet shaving

Quick question: I went for the BBS today and succeeded for the most part except for a dime sized spot on my neck! Was amazing. My question is, how do you guys get those hairs right under your nose? I have a little Hitler going on and I just can't seem to get my razor up there like I could with a Mach.

Welcome to B&B and Congrats!! Some advise for getting under your nose....turn your razor verticle under nose and go cross, from left to right or right to left, lifting the tip of the nose just slightly. Careful not to hit nose w/ end of blade. Good luck and Enjoy!! :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B and Congrats!! Some advise for getting under your nose....turn your razor verticle under nose and go cross, from left to right or right to left, lifting the tip of the nose just slightly. Careful not to hit nose w/ end of blade. Good luck and Enjoy!! :thumbup1:

My mom told me to never trust anyone with SCAD :wink: just sayin...hehe

Okay, not sure which blades these are but they came in my sample pack, had a blue label and said they were made in Israel I think but no brand name on it.

I've been through one DERBY, one MERKUR and now this one. This one gave me some irritation on my neck!! I've yet to nick myself, but I now know what you guys are talking about when it comes to different blades. The first two, awesome. This one...not so much.

Question: do you give it a couple of shaves? Do you try a couple of blades to give it a fair shake? I've got two shaves on this one blade with similar results. There is no way I'd be able to achieve BBS with these. But they seem to work fine for a quick and dirty.

Top Bottom