What's new

Honey, I shrunk the razor!

I had a request for a compact straight for a gentleman with a full beard to be able to do detail work, yet not have to resort to a DE.

attachment.php

Shortened the blade, shortened the scales. Not a thing of great beauty, but a tool to fit a need.

attachment.php

Nice coochie razor Sera. Did you reuse the same scales just cut them down also?
I guess you did shorten them both lol

I wondered why you did not remove some of the blade at the heel end. This leaves you with a longer tang which increases maneuvrability with a beard. Saves you shortening the scales.

How did you cut and shape it without hurting the temper? When I saw this I thought about a straight at a junk store that had a chip in the blade, but it was close to the end, seems like it would be a good "project razor".

I've only used it once so far (I'm saving the straight for weekend practice), and it does the job well...I mean, I cut my neck up trying for a third pass 'round the adam's apple, but with first two passes (WTG & ATG) I got a (tight and tender, but not actually bloody) BBS along the trim-lines, including the cheeks. It worked perfectly in that narrow space between the mustache and the sideburns.

I hope to perfect its use on upcoming Saturday mornings.

Well done, and thank you.

Ryan

I saw some shrunken on-purpose-made razors on German ebay called the next generation and that shape is similar to it.

Perhaps they are easier to handle and easier to hone.

There's no need for the blade to be 3". Just look at the track the razor leaves in the lather after one pass: it seldom exceeds 2".

This is somewhat left-field, but as a new straight shaver, I've found that I have trouble shaving with the full length of the blade, especially on areas that are wide open like the cheeks. So far, I've only shaved with straight blades but can see the advantages of shorter blades or "smiley" blades for overall flexibility. For sure, much of what I describe is learning but as one member noted, only a portion of the blade makes contact anyway.

Beautiful job, by the way. :001_smile

Top Bottom