What's new

Old Type vs NEW vs Tech (Heads)

Can anyone explain the positives, negatives, similarities, and differences between these razor heads. I am in the process of purchasing a Bull Mastiff handle and am aiming to pick the perfect head. If I had to pick two of them, which two would you choose?

Samouraï;1506370 said:
Can anyone explain the positives, negatives, similarities, and differences between these razor heads. I am in the process of purchasing a Bull Mastiff handle and am aiming to pick the perfect head. If I had to pick two of them, which two would you choose?

I would choose each with their original handles to enjoy them as they were first designed. All respect to Bob, but I am seeing a total disrespect for the original razors which are being stripped for their parts. If you want a contemporary handle why not get a Merkur head which would still fit.

I would choose each with their original handles to enjoy them as they were first designed. All respect to Bob, but I am seeing a total disrespect for the original razors which are being stripped for their parts. If you want a contemporary handle why not get a Merkur head which would still fit.
I don't see it that way at all, and if you see it that way...Some could think it's worse for a person to hoard scores of razor in an over the door hanging shoe organizer. :rolleyes: I don't have a problem with collectors hanging on to razors that collect dust (I'm a collector myself), and I certainly don't have a problem with Bob using his talents to make a living. The work he does is simply stunning, so please people...don't let this thread sway you from trying a bullmastiff with any vintage Gillette head.

The work he does is simply stunning, so please people...don't let this thread sway you from trying a bullmastiff with any vintage Gillette head.

Don't worry, I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on one. The only question is: should I get the Bull Mastiff or the Bull Mastiff Mark II?!

Samouraï;1506484 said:
Don't worry, I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on one. The only question is: should I get the Bull Mastiff or the Bull Mastiff Mark II?!
:thumbup1: Glad to hear that. You won't regret going for the standard bullmastiff.​

the problem is that the competition has become so fierce among collectors & noobs that finding that highly sought after [insert razor of choice here] becomes out of reach for a lot of people. this means fewer people actually have the luxury of enjoying a vintage razor imho.

You know Guido or whatever your name is, your petty little digs gets tiresome.
My opinion, which by the way is as valid as yours.
I buy junky old razors off e-bay, which when I started this business hardly anybody else wanted.
I painstakingly restore these heads then have them replated as Gillette didn't properly plate them originally, they didn't nickel plate them before flash plating them with gold, so the gold quickly wears off.
These were disposal items and Gillette made millions of them.
I then install these heads which I consider "Better Then New" onto the handle that I handcraft in my small home shop.
I'm sorry if my little business which to me is my surviving the collapse of the housing industry in Northern California seems to you like disrespect.

Last edited:
You know Guido or whatever your name is, your petty little digs gets tiresome.
My opinion, which by the way is as valid as yours.
I buy junky old razors off e-bay, which when I started this business hardly anybody else wanted.
I painstakingly restore these heads then have them replated as Gillette didn't properly plate them originally, they didn't nickel plate them before flash plating them with gold, so the gold quickly wears off.
These were disposal items and Gillette made millions of them.
I then install these heads which I consider "Better Then New" onto the handle that I handcraft in my small home shop.
I'm sorry if my little business which to me is my surviving the collapse of the housing industry in Northern California seems to you like disrespect.

Bob, I have no problem with your taking a beat up old head and refinishing it for use with your handle. And I wasn't only talking about you. In fact, I see you as one of the few that specifically looks for trash razors to restore. My concern is that too many new users are ignoring the classics and searching out the after market versions without ever giving the originals their chance. My other concern is with users who are taking the heads off perfectly good NEWs and Goodwills to use with other handles (and I am not only talking about yours).

I don't see it that way at all, and if you see it that way...Some could think it's worse for a person to hoard scores of razor in an over the door hanging shoe organizer. :rolleyes: I don't have a problem with collectors hanging on to razors that collect dust (I'm a collector myself), and I certainly don't have a problem with Bob using his talents to make a living. The work he does is simply stunning, so please people...don't let this thread sway you from trying a bullmastiff with any vintage Gillette head.

BTW, those pictures of the shoe organizer were fairly old. All it has in it today are about a dozen non-Gillettes and a ton of blades, polish, rags, toothbrushes, etc. Virtually all of the Gillette razors are now in the hands of other B&B members. I wish I did have some more NEWs to share, but they are getting harder to come by.

I don't have a problem with collectors hanging on to razors that collect dust (I'm a collector myself)
I have almost twenty razors, that I store in a nice looking Harley Davidson case.​

BTW, those pictures of the shoe organizer were fairly old. All it has in it today are about a dozen non-Gillettes and a ton of blades, polish, rags, toothbrushes, etc. Virtually all of the Gillette razors are now in the hands of other B&B members. I wish I did have some more NEWs to share, but they are getting harder to come by.
Thanks to Maher, I was able to try a ball end new, before acquiring my bullmastiff. I can honestly say that Bob's custom handle makes the new an even more efficient shaving tool. It is by far my favorite razor already. :001_tt2:

for the record, I have no problems with Bob doing what he does. I think his work looks amazing and I'll more than likely buy one of his bull mastiffs once I get off my vintage gillette kick. I would compare his work to someone who rebuilds once junky old muscle cars and turns them into fine works of art

Bob, I have no problem with your taking a beat up old head and refinishing it for use with your handle. And I wasn't only talking about you. In fact, I see you as one of the few that specifically looks for trash razors to restore. My concern is that too many new users are ignoring the classics and searching out the after market versions without ever giving the originals their chance. My other concern is with users who are taking the heads off perfectly good NEWs and Goodwills to use with other handles (and I am not only talking about yours).

Variety is the spice of life.
I personally use the NEW heads with a variety of different style handles including the stock handles.
It causes no lasting harm to these heads to be use with "non original" handles and it definitely give a different shaving experience.
I try to dissuade new guys from buying my products until they learn the nuances of DE shaving.
This is also why I save the original handles for those who want to restore their razors but have cracked or otherwise damaged handles.

Variety is the spice of life.
I personally use the NEW heads with a variety of different style handles including the stock handles.
It causes no lasting harm to these heads to be use with "non original" handles and it definitely give a different shaving experience.
I try to dissuade new guys from buying my products until they learn the nuances of DE shaving.
This is also why I save the original handles for those who want to restore their razors but have cracked or otherwise damaged handles.

I may be interested in some of those original ball end handles in the future. Even some with tiny cracks don't bother me. There are some very nice sets out there with severely cracked handles that could be made whole with a replacement original handle.

I think the Bull Mastiff is a beautiful piece of work, and I may have the perfect "donor" head for it. In a lot I got a few weeks back, I got a Star handle, but it turned out to be part of a Franken razor, had an Old Type head on it (I presume from a cracked handle razor, which to me is a perfect application for these after market handles, whereby the handles can actually prevent the head from simply being discarded).

Thing is, I haven't shaved with one yet. If I like it at all, I'll consider getting the new handle and re-plating the head and having a nice usable piece that is more attractive than it is now (it was gold, but has substantial plate loss).

The problem then will be what to do with the Star handle? Wish I could find the proper head for it!

I am glad that this thread did deteriorate any further as I have respect for both AG's knowledge & passion for vintage Gillettes, but also believe Bob provides wonderful craftsmanship for those seeking a clean, modern updated look to a tried & true razor. I am not a collector myself, just enjoy using vintage Gillettes with the New & Fatboy being my favorites thus far. I currently only have one modern razor & that's the EJ DE89. I think my RAD is about done, just want to round out my stable with a Gillette New Deluxe & a Bull Mastiff w/ New Head. B&B is a great place for those who truly enjoy the whole wetshaving experience whether it's vintage vs. modern, DE vs SE, collector vs non-collector, soap vs cream, badger vs boar, etc. You get the idea.

Oh, for the OP I like the New Head, but everyone has their own preference based on their own experience. You should try all 3 heads since they are pretty cheap to find at user grade rating. Pick the one that works best for you & then have Bob build you one of his beautiful creations.

I think the Bull Mastiff is a beautiful piece of work, and I may have the perfect "donor" head for it. In a lot I got a few weeks back, I got a Star handle, but it turned out to be part of a Franken razor, had an Old Type head on it (I presume from a cracked handle razor, which to me is a perfect application for these after market handles, whereby the handles can actually prevent the head from simply being discarded).

Thing is, I haven't shaved with one yet. If I like it at all, I'll consider getting the new handle and re-plating the head and having a nice usable piece that is more attractive than it is now (it was gold, but has substantial plate loss).

The problem then will be what to do with the Star handle? Wish I could find the proper head for it!

That's funny, similar situation except got a New Head on a Star Handle. I actually like this Frankenrazor combo.

I can verify that Bob does not push people into his razors. I originally sent Bob an email about purchasing one of his razors when I started back DE shaving months ago. Bob sent me back a note suggesting that I start out with an old Gillette Classic. I couldn't believe he was trying to talk me out of buying his product.

I am 60 and actually started shaving before all the plastic hit the US market. I did take Bob's advice to heart though and started back with a Gillette Slim and then an Aristocrat (46-47). I finally talked Bob into selling me a razor about a week ago. His razor kindled my interest in the older New razors again. I bought an antique New today.

I am experiencing similar issues restoring old hand tools. Some people hate it when others restore the old tools to a form that makes them usable. Some collectors seem to feel that all the old "finish" is better left on as a testament to the tools history. I personally feel that I better honor the tool and its designer(s) by restoring it to usable form and using it again for its intended purpose. I think the important issue is having a healthy desire to preserve the history that got us where we are and I think we are all doing that in our own way.

Top Bottom