What's new

Dark Circles/Bags under Eyes

I have this problem. but I know I have not been getting a proper amount of sleep for a few years now. I notice with just one day with good amount of sleep they seem slightly smaller. If I maintain a good sleep pattern will they be completely gone in a few years? Should I also use cucumbers?

Through college, I worked 60-70 hours THIRD-SHIFT and went to class for 8 hours a day through the week. No summer vacations, I took classes while most people took advantage of the break. I honestly averaged 8-10 hours of sleep a WEEK, usually going about 2.5 days between naps. A pot of coffee at work every night and a 2-liter of store-brand Mountain Dew for school helped me survive. :scared:

Glad that's over with, three degrees later (and finding my wife) it was worth it.

Anyways, I actually picked up some Vitamin K (I think) ointment for the :cool: circles under my eyes back then, worked well. Oil of Olay I think it was. :001_tongu

I've had dark circles my whole life, with or without insomnia.

The stuff that works usually has caffeine or witch hazel, maybe some vitamins. Short term fixes, but some of the vitamins and botanical ingredients help a little over a longer period of time.

Beyond that it usually takes some sort of concealer, but I don't really like to go there.

In a pinch tea bags on the eyes can help for a while.

Good luck man.

Sometimes these are due to allergies. People who have "hay fever" often have dark circles under their eyes. Doctors call them "allergic shiners."

If you suffer from nasal allergies, starting a nasal spray such as Nasonex or Rhinocort or the like might make these dark circles better over time.

If it's really "bags" rather than dark circles, there's not much that can be done about those, and they get worse as you age. I think that most things sold to fix the bags are pretty much worthless, although the ones that contain caffeine can help a little. The problem is that fluid doesn't drain very well out of those areas. Treatments are designed to make the blood vessels constrict; that's why caffeine works, and it's also why the traditional remedy is a cucumber slice (because it's COLD, not because it's cucumber). Holding anything cold under the eyes will reduce swelling somewhat.

Last edited:
Dark circles can be caused by any number of reasons. Lack of sleep is one of them. If you find your eyes look better when you do get more sleep, it's reasonable to assume that a lack of sleep is contributing to your issue. I don't know that it's reasonable to assume that getting enough sleep all the time will completely solve the issue for you, although it will do wonders for you in other areas of your life, including your cardiovascular health. According to Eric Roos at Nancy Boy, there is no product on the market that can completely get rid of dark circles around the eyes, which is why he recommends using a concealer (i.e., makeup) to cover them up. I don't personally advocate this, but I think it illustrates his main point, which is that most products that claim to reduce dark circles (i.e., eye creams, gels, treatments, etc.) are really just preying on people's fears, and are bottles full of hope, rather than something that will really work. For more info, check out the Ultramarine Night Cream on the Nancy Boy website.

I normally get 5-6 hours of sleep. I just slept for 8-9 hours in one day and they seemed somehow smaller in the morning. I also think the pressure of my glasses adds to them. They did start showing up around the time I started sleeping less and started wearing heavier glasses. I am going to try some contact lenses and more sleep.

Hopefully they'll go away. they really do make one look really old.

Last edited:
Dark circles can be caused by any number of reasons. Lack of sleep is one of them. If you find your eyes look better when you do get more sleep, it's reasonable to assume that a lack of sleep is contributing to your issue. I don't know that it's reasonable to assume that getting enough sleep all the time will completely solve the issue for you, although it will do wonders for you in other areas of your life, including your cardiovascular health. According to Eric Roos at Nancy Boy, there is no product on the market that can completely get rid of dark circles around the eyes, which is why he recommends using a concealer (i.e., makeup) to cover them up. I don't personally advocate this, but I think it illustrates his main point, which is that most products that claim to reduce dark circles (i.e., eye creams, gels, treatments, etc.) are really just preying on people's fears, and are bottles full of hope, rather than something that will really work. For more info, check out the Ultramarine Night Cream on the Nancy Boy website.

Just about all those things he says that make them worse apply to me.

Damn I love this place
I was literally going to make a thread about this
I've tried Biore's eye serum. While it had a cooling sensation... that was it.
I ordered hydrolast. Nothing except it makes my eyes shiny.
They “gave” me vitamins but for some
reason I don't trust em.

Even with sleep, they still remain
My last ditch effort is going to be preperation H

Honestly, I find if you put some witch hazel on a cotton ball and pat that underneath your eyes it helps...isn't a perfect solution but since I am sure lots of you have witch hazel anyway, I'd give it a try.

Add a teaspoon of tomato juice, half a teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric powder in some orange lentil flour to form a paste. Next, apply this paste around your eyes regularly for about 10-15 minutes to heal Dark Circles under eyes.

Better sleep habits will help I also use under eye creams (if yo thing they are for chicks only and will emasculate you you're wrong)
I use the ones with natural ingredients such as Origins Eye Doctor or Zing, L'occitane Immortelle Precious Eye Balm

I inherited very dark circles under eyes from my mom. She recommended a cream with horse chestnut in it. I tried it for several weeks and it didn't make a difference.

Really, there's not much to do other than wear some kind of concealer. I passed it on to my son, who has dark circles under eyes at four years old even with 12 hours of sleep.

Top Bottom