What's new

Illinois Strop

Here's a question--I am assuming Illinois Strops are made in Illinois--and was trying to find out some info regarding them to see if they have a brick and mortar location anywhere--I am in the Chicago Area but do get around the state quite a bit. I've gone the google route and generally come up with vendor sites...thanks!

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Illinois razor Strop is a very old company, now owned by Fromm International.

Fromm is a major beauty supply outfit selling anything and everything dealing with barber and beauty shops via a large network of dealers. I don't think they have a brick and mortar store.

I am also not sure where their strops are actually made. Their website says "Americas Only Strop Maker". Myself, Hand American, SRD and Kenrup (America's other "only" strop makers) say "Made In America" :lol:

If buying an Illinois I suggest the 361 if you want a traditional style or the 127 if you want a smooth strop with a handle. The 827 is advertised heavily but is a reversed (rough side out) leather that typically requires a bit of work.

I have owned a few and found them to be fine.

Tony

I have a 127 and I'm very happy with it. It seems to be made well enough for my needs and performs it's task fine.

The original Illinois Strop Company was at 1919 Stanley St. Northbrook, IL. I drove by a while back but it's just an empty yellow brick building now.

Map

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I would guess that like some of the larger sellers they are made to their design by another firm, either another strop maker or possibly a leather working company.

These do make great strops for those on a budget and are all of a reasonable width and length unlike some of the imported strops which tend to be quite short or narrow.

You had asked via PM about my earlier comment on the 827 needing some work. The 127 and the 827 are the same size strop, the 127 being a smooth finished, grain side out leather while the 827 is a coarse, reversed, rough side out leather. There are many posts about how to sand the 827 down and make it more usable. To me the 127 saves all this work as it is already smooth. Now if one wants a rougher strop the 827 is great and at one time when I was a Fromm dealer I used to make a combo strop with both the leather components from a 127 and an 827 giving the best of both models.

Not sure if they still bill themselves as "Americas only strop makers" :001_rolle

Is the reverse of the 827 grain side, just not finished, or is it some kind of sub-grain cut?

Have you tried a #361? It's the Illinois that looks like the best quality strop they make to me. $7 more for a lot more real estate.

Top Bottom