What's new

Would Like Trac II Education

Just for fun I have been looking a "Trac II" razors, both on ebay and some other sites. For reasons I would like to understand, ebay Trac IIs all seem to be in Singapore. Was there a Gillette factory there? Why Singapore? And I see "GII" razors, which I gather are a European variant. What are the GIIs? Are there others as well? Just curious. Thanks, John

What are the GIIs? Are there others as well? Just curious. Thanks, John

The GII is the same thing as the Trac II, just renamed for the European market. I seem to recall that there is a current production model of the Trac II for the Indian/ Asian markets as well. :tongue_sm

Update: Here is a an e-bay Buy It Now for the current production Trac II for foreign markets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-X-GILLETTE-TRAC-II-RAZORS-NEW-IN-PACKAGE-SEALED_W0QQitemZ220484995327QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item3355ee08ff&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited:
Thank you! If I may ask more questions, is the Trac II handle metal or plastic, light or heavy? Do those made for the European or international markets vary in handle material? I don't recall ever having looked at one during the time I am sure they were in stores in the U.S.

I started on a Trac II (they appeared a year or two before I started shaving).

Fast forward to a couple months back, I shaved my full beard and realized I didn't want to pay the price for the Mach 3 carts on a regular basis. I found the B&B, and discovered Personna makes an inexpensive blade on the Trac II platform called the Twin II. They are sold at Walmart for about $3.50 for 10.

Also, for a decent handle to use with them (the original Trac II I think was metal, but not very heavy), Walmart sells a razor called the Bump Fighter. They are meant for Black Men who suffer shaving bumps more than Caucasians, but this nice hefty handle (also about $3.50) takes the Trac II carts.

So, for a bit over $7 I was able to get a non pivoting razor to work with before my first DE, and use to learn proper lather making.

There are literally tons of "trac II" style razors on eBay - you don't need a Gillette trac II handle because you can buy some nice all metal solid handles - Merkur makes one that's quite nice but in the 80's I think there must've been quite a few of these style handles - the vintage Old Spice and Avon razors were Trac II style. I see many auctions on the 'bay whith something like "vintage razor" in the title that are actually non-Gillette custom Trac II handles but the seller doesn't know what they've got. Many of these go for cheap or don't even sell. It just takes a little time to ferret them out. In addition, you can buy the Schick Super II - many of these are NOS and cheap on the 'bay and Dridiot also sells a nice new Trac II handle made by Feather. I picked one of these up not long ago for about $7 shipped. With so many options, I see no reason to buy the Gillette handle at a premium price when it really lacks style.

Last edited:
I started on a Trac II (they appeared a year or two before I started shaving).

Fast forward to a couple months back, I shaved my full beard and realized I didn't want to pay the price for the Mach 3 carts on a regular basis. I found the B&B, and discovered Personna makes an inexpensive blade on the Trac II platform called the Twin II. They are sold at Walmart for about $3.50 for 10.

Also, for a decent handle to use with them (the original Trac II I think was metal, but not very heavy), Walmart sells a razor called the Bump Fighter. They are meant for Black Men who suffer shaving bumps more than Caucasians, but this nice hefty handle (also about $3.50) takes the Trac II carts.

So, for a bit over $7 I was able to get a non pivoting razor to work with before my first DE, and use to learn proper lather making.

I use the Trac II for touching up around the mouth/chin area. Ditto on the Bump Fighter, it's cheap but has some weight to it. The handles are pretty easy to find on ebay, cheapo razor sets, generic razors, etc. Another cheap option is going with an Atra which Walmart also sells cheap Personna carts for.

So, for a bit over $7 I was able to get a non pivoting razor to work with before my first DE, and use to learn proper lather making.[/QUOTE]

Years ago, when I used a TracII regularly, I bought a long, heavy, solid brass handle. The length and the weight made this extremely easy to use. Good to see a source of cartridges for these at a decent price. I still have the handle and have a few blades and use this as a carry on. It still works and I think it the best of these.

I thought the Bump Fighter handle worked well because of its extra weight and girth, compared to the original Trac II. But after a lot of use, I'm of a mind that the BF is harder to control; the balance and round shape keep it shifting in my hand. I now tend to favor the original squarish lightweight TII handle. Cartridges fit more securely on the original, too, at least on my version.

_Trac II handle made by Feather[/URL]. I picked one of these up not long ago for about $7 shipped. With so many options, I see no reason to buy the Gillette handle at a premium price when it really lacks style.

How is the Feather handle? I think it looks pretty nice and I've been thinking about picking one up. Currently using the Bump Fighter handle without any difficulties, but the Feather seems to have more pizazz.

Tracs are wonderful shavers, indeed!! Squared handle, light handle with a back metal strip.

They will shave BBS everytime...GII or Gillette 2 blades are the European version, of course.Same model, different names.

Recently a thread was discussed here (with pics) about original G's TII versus clones/replicas.The original razor will have Gillette engraved on handle, clones will be blank...i suspect they used to be made at same factory, but who knows (?) and when Gillette ceased the production under their name the plant didn't close the production line for good but still keep producing them with no logo on handle for different markets...

Didriot (fellow member here) at Singapore have some to sell regularly.

Under the name of Precision 3000 some are still sold too...but of lower quality and nobodys knows who's the manufacturer. And a member here find one with a cutter included :confused: at a flea market!!

Carts still exist in Europe, regular G's (4 or 5 blades) and Personna brand (10 blades) made for local Wally's

I've seen some vintage handles made of metal but i think they were made for luxury brands in limited editions.

The mass market, original handle was the little black handle, purveyor of joys each morning and it's one of my favorites!!

Top Bottom