What's new

Gillette Identification

Went to an antique store today where I saw a Gillette razor which I cannot identify using the wiki info. It was gold in color (the tag said brass but there was no green tarnish). It was not TTO, but had two long prongs to hold the blade. The top of the head had no identification of a marking. Underneath was the Gillette logo; no numbers. The handle looked like a ball tech, but the head was an open comb. The condition seemed "okay", except that one of the end teeth was bent inwards (probably dropped at some point). The handle screwed into the base of the head, and the bottom ball screwed off. The handle barrel was not split. They had it listed for $7.50. Was tempted except I don't know what it is, and I don't know if the bent tooth could be straightened. Answers? Opinions? Thanks, John

May have just found it. Looked a B/S/T and saw and Old Type Ball; checked wiki and think that is what it is. Questions that still remain are fixing the tooth, and is it worth $7.50. Thanks again, John

May have just found it. Looked a B/S/T and saw and Old Type Ball; checked wiki and think that is what it is. Questions that still remain are fixing the tooth, and is it worth $7.50. Thanks again, John

Yes, it should be worth $7.50 to you and do not worry about the tooth. As long as it is simply bent inward and not downward it will not affect the shave at all. Any attempt to bend the tooth back will probably result in the tooth breaking off which would affect the shave.

Think the tooth (not the part that holds the blade in) is bent inward. Anyone care to guess what kind of shaver it would be? Nice and mild? As horrible as my Ever Ready 1924? Thanks all, John

Think the tooth (not the part that holds the blade in) is bent inward. Anyone care to guess what kind of shaver it would be? Nice and mild? As horrible as my Ever Ready 1924? Thanks all, John

It would be milder than the Ever-Ready '24. I have used several Old Types including one just like that one. I have always found them as fairly mild due to very little blade exposure.

Top Bottom