What's new

Sauces- Piedmont region BBQ sauce

Wow, Jim. These all look great. I've posted this before, but in Decatur, AL there is a BBQ joint (Big Bob Gibson's) that has a white sauce for smoked chicken. The chicken is smoked and then dipped in this sauce. It is also served on the side and is GREAT with turkey.

1 cup Mayo
1/2 cup vinegar
lots and lots of black pepper

Wow, Jim. These all look great. I've posted this before, but in Decatur, AL there is a BBQ joint (Big Bob Gibson's) that has a white sauce for smoked chicken. The chicken is smoked and then dipped in this sauce. It is also served on the side and is GREAT with turkey.

1 cup Mayo
1/2 cup vinegar

Nice!

I have one also I will post in a few weeks.:001_smile

Jim,
My memory of my barbecue trail trip through the Piedmont doesn't register a mustard sauce, but a tomato and perhaps molasses thickened variant of the basic Eastern North Carolina vinegar sauce. I spot checked several recipes on the interwebs, and didn't see Piedmont described with mustard, either.

Are there radically different sauces generally known as Piedmont style?

Roger

Edit:
The Piedmont is quite big. Could this be a difference between the Lexington style NC Piedmont compared to the Greenville, SC Piedmont?

Last edited:
Jim,
My memory of my barbecue trail trip through the Piedmont doesn't register a mustard sauce, but a tomato and perhaps molasses thickened variant of the basic Eastern North Carolina vinegar sauce. I spot checked several recipes on the interwebs, and didn't see Piedmont described with mustard, either.

Are there radically different sauces generally known as Piedmont style?

Roger

Edit:
The Piedmont is quite big. Could this be a difference between the Lexington style NC Piedmont compared to the Greenville, SC Piedmont?

The Piedmont region is pretty vast, stretching from New Jersey to Alabama.
This particular recipe was given to me by a friend's Dad whom lives in Georgia. Its pretty good eats whatever you call it.

1 cup Mayo
1/2 cup vinegar

I add a little prepared horseradish to crank it up a notch...

Jim, for someone who lives in NY, you seem to know a lot about Carolina barbecue. Kudos to you and thank you for the great recipes!

There's a little place in Cashiers, GA called "Carolina BBQ that does a great job. Being a Midwesterner who prefers the KC-style sauces, I have found a few Carolina products that I like. My tendency is to skip the sauces and to judge the meats on their own.

1 cup Mayo
1/2 cup vinegar

I've never had a white BBQ sauce. Just to make sure I understand this right, the sauce goes on right before you serve it--it never spends any time on the grill.

I've never had a white BBQ sauce. Just to make sure I understand this right, the sauce goes on right before you serve it--it never spends any time on the grill.

Exactly. I make it to serve with smoked chicken. The sauce is added before serving, or used as a dipping sauce.

Exactly. I make it to serve with smoked chicken. The sauce is added before serving, or used as a dipping sauce.

YUP! That's right. You won't believe it, either. One of my brothers goes a bit overboard with it: he puts it on pizza! :eek:

This is a staple at our Thanksgiving table. It is WONDERFUL on a corn bread dressing (not to mention the turkey, of course).

Top Bottom