What's new

Where to get Linen???

L

Lo'Tek

Where can I purchase linen ro make my own Linen Only (no leather) Strop? - without going to T.M.

i dont know about that, but others have had some success with denim and car seatbelts if youre interested in making your own

i dont know about that, but others have had some success with denim and car seatbelts if youre interested in making your own

A word of caution with the non natural fibers: depending on what you want to paste them with, they may not work very well as the paste does not stay bound in the "linen" well enough to do the job right. In that case, it only feels like it's working :lol:. You will get some resistance, yes, but not the joy of a light compound + resistance.

I don't know if its just personal preference, something in my head, or because I like natural stuff better in general... I do not like the synthetic cloth replacements. I find them to feel synthetic and fake, first of all, and I personally think they don't work as well as linen or cotton. Linen is my favorite and perhaps I unfairly compare all else to linen. However, I never found synthetics to equal the naturals. Come to think of it...I came to the same conclusion with brushes too. Probably would come to the same conclusion re: the vegan strops. Anyway...take my opinion for what it cost you.

I don't know if its just personal preference, something in my head, or because I like natural stuff better in general... I do not like the synthetic cloth replacements. I find them to feel synthetic and fake, first of all, and I personally think they don't work as well as linen or cotton. Linen is my favorite and perhaps I unfairly compare all else to linen. However, I never found synthetics to equal the naturals. Come to think of it...I came to the same conclusion with brushes too. Probably would come to the same conclusion re: the vegan strops. Anyway...take my opinion for what it cost you.

The difference between leather and synthetic leather for a strop actually makes sense though. If someone wants to straight shave but does not feel comfortable purchasing leather, there previously was not even a way to do so unless said user wanted to hone the blade every couple days. Now at least there are leather free alternatives (I know TM sells such a product, I am unaware if anyone else does at this current time). in such a scenario, the performance of synthetic vs natural isn't even a criteria, so the existence of the synthetic substitute is justified.

As for natural fiber VS synthetic when it comes to the canvas/linen, I totally agree the natural fiber wins every time. In my mind there is NO conceivable scenario where synthetic could be considered an advantage in this case.

Where can I purchase linen to make my own Linen Only (no leather) Strop? - without going to T.M.

As someone who quilts I would suggest a fabric store such as Joann's or Hancock fabric. Both have a large selection of different fabrics and they often carry very particular types of fabrics for all kinds of uses. Linen being one of them. Talk to the sales girl there.

I would not recommend shopping in the wamart craft/fabric section for this.

Also bolts of fabric are also labeled as well with the content of the fabric.

edited to add some online links to get an idea what you want or could be bought online as well.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2951&PRODID=prd46473

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Khaki...VproductId63598194VVcatId537258VVviewprod.htm

you often do have a color choice, and most are about 53" min wide. And a half yard is 18" (1 yard = 36") so to keep that in mind when deciding how much to get so you don't get more than you need.

Last edited:
Since I've never owned or seen one in person, forgive my simpleton question:

Is a linen strop made out of some sort of special linen? If it's just regular linen, I would assume that it's multiple layers of linen stacked to get to a desired thickness?

Since I've never owned or seen one in person, forgive my simpleton question:

Is a linen strop made out of some sort of special linen? If it's just regular linen, I would assume that it's multiple layers of linen stacked to get to a desired thickness?

Since I've never seen regular linen except in shirt form, I can only assume that the linen weave needed for stropping is something different from regular linen. Its significantly thicker and stronger feeling.

Perhaps its some sort of heavy weave linen. No idea to be honest, but the cotton strop is definitely nothing like denim. Thicker and a different weave.

Ask Tony where he sources his from. Heck, you could even buy a finished piece from him, maybe you can buy linen in the raw from him. He's really nice, give it a shot.

Since I've never seen regular linen except in shirt form, I can only assume that the linen weave needed for stropping is something different from regular linen. Its significantly thicker and stronger feeling.

Perhaps its some sort of heavy weave linen. No idea to be honest, but the cotton strop is definitely nothing like denim. Thicker and a different weave.

Ask Tony where he sources his from. Heck, you could even buy a finished piece from him, maybe you can buy linen in the raw from him. He's really nice, give it a shot.

Seriously, +1

I haven't looked at craft stores, etc, but the linen they sell is most likely not going to be as thick as this, nor is it likely to be as "abrasive." Yeah sure, it will look pretty when you tie it into a bow, put it on a wreath, and hot glue a couple of pine cones to it - but will it put hair on your chest and make you into a stropping BEAST?

Why not just get one of Tony's linen strops? They are cheap, and already put together with excellent hardware.

And they put hair on your chest!

I absolutely LOVE my TM linen/cotton combo. I wouldn't dream of using anything else. I usually do just a few passes (and I mean a FEW) on the linen pasted with white chalk (TM linen is FAST even with slow cutting abrasives), then clean it off with the cotton strop for another 10 passes, then move on to the big guns (also TM stuff :biggrin:).

L

Lo'Tek

I was at a job today and sitting on a forklift I walked by I noticed a heavy duty Lashing Strap approx. 3" wide and thicker than strop linnen. It felt natural. Deluth sells clothing made from that old heavyduty cotton fire hose. Seat belts out of an older car will most likely be natural fibers, and if you have to make a trip to a parts yard, they will usually give you belts for close to nothing.

All this said, I thought it would be a nice experience to make my own rather than go to T.M.; and he must have a suppier, unless he has it custom woven.

I was at a job today and sitting on a forklift I walked by I noticed a heavy duty Lashing Strap approx. 3" wide and thicker than strop linnen. It felt natural. Deluth sells clothing made from that old heavyduty cotton fire hose. Seat belts out of an older car will most likely be natural fibers, and if you have to make a trip to a parts yard, they will usually give you belts for close to nothing.

All this said, I thought it would be a nice experience to make my own rather than go to T.M.; and he must have a suppier, unless he has it custom woven.

I don't know where he gets his, but I've seen him mention that his linen is really difficult to source. Since he's in the business of strop making, and it's tough for him to source, I'd say it may be a while before you find what you are looking for.

Good luck though!

Top Bottom